4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2013 1:05 PM by philmodjunk

Help with Work Order Numbers

RyanCourville

Title

Help with Work Order Numbers

Hey

I am working on creating a work order database and what I am trying to accomplish is if you press create new work order button it runs a script to create a new record and new work order #. (Which works) But I would like to do is have the other button that says duplicate customer info (also a script)  to use the same work order #. As of now when you press it, it increments the WO# by 1.

Is there a way to make it so when you press create new work order it will increment the work order # by 1. But when you click duplicate it will copy the previous work order number. Also I would like it to be able to keep track of the orginial work order number as shown below.

EX

press new work order 001

press duplicate 001

press duplicate 001

press new work order 002

new_work_order_dup.JPG

• 1. Re: Help with Work Order Numbers
          philmodjunk

Why would you want two work order records with the same work order number?

I can see duplicating the customer info on a new work order or even duplicating all the information from the current work order onto a new work order, but why keep the work order number the same and thus produce two completely duplicate records?

• 2. Re: Help with Work Order Numbers
            RyanCourville

Well I work in a machine shop that services parts. We have alot of things coming and going everyday. So I am trying to come up with something that will help organize this madness lol. I have that part in the header and in the body it displays 1 record. Each record needs to have a work order number that corresponds to a po given by a customer. The customer might give us 1 po with 5 items that need repair. So we put the same work order number to reference that po number. Also I am working on a delivery ticket system so that when you type in the work order number it will pull in all the info from that work order; customer name, po, job no, rig, and well info as well as the items listed.

I could give each item a different WO# but how would I get all the items to show up on the delivery ticket related to that same job.

We dont always get a po right off the bat if it is a rush job. Which is why I reference a WO#.

I am open to anything that you think would help.

Ex:

wo 111

po 123

item a

item b

item c

w222

po 456

item a

item b

w333

po 789

item a

• 3. Re: Help with Work Order Numbers
              RyanCourville
              /files/a83e63f0d4/wo_example.JPG 905x715
              • 4. Re: Help with Work Order Numbers
                philmodjunk

I would be inclined to track by PO number instead of Work Order number, but it all depends in you your organise your data.

You could have just one Work Order for every PO and use a related table of WorkOrderItems to list each part that needs to be machined on that work order