4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 10:48 AM by philmodjunk

HELP!    Only this week-end to figure out how to export field data in a text string

Jonna

Title

HELP!    Only this week-end to figure out how to export field data in a text string

I need to create an export file to be sent into a bookkeeping database (not FileMaker), so that the data from each field in a record is gathered into one long text string (within each record) for export. 

Let's say each record has two fields: FirstName and LastName.

FirstName in the resulting text string must always be 10 characters long, and LastName 15 characters, so that the total length of the resulting string is always 25 characters.

In other words: the receiving bookkeeping database interprets the first 10 characters to be the first name, next 15 characters to be the last name.

Example:

these fields:            John, Smith

would export as:      JohnSmith             (9 characters)

but:                       Murray, Anderson

results as:               MurrayAnderson     (14 characters)

My plan is to create an extra field, and build a script that copies the data in the other fields into that one. Then I have to figure out a way to fill the empty spaces with some characters so that the resulting string is 25 characters.

And I have to have it ready by monday...

I'd very much appreciate any help anyone can give figuring out the best way of doing this.

Thanks