6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 10:33 AM by AlexMason

Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger

AlexMason

Title

Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger

Howdy,

Please bear with me if I explain something poorly.  Recently, I installed a new copy of FM11 onto a PC.  I then made a copy of the of the file we had been using on our old emac (running FM7), copied it onto the PC and all was well.  

At some point, a not in-the-know employee entered new records onto the old emac version.  I again made a copy of the old file, put it on the PC and imported from a found set everything from the day she entered new records.  Aside from 2 duplicated being created in the found set, all seemed fine again.  I then took the most recent copy and put it on the emac, just to be sure.

Then today, when the ledger info was processed to do a week's worth of daily reciepts, strange things started happening.  Newly created member entries from before the second import would at random link ledger entries.  For instance, if I entered a $3000 amount on 4/26/12 in Mr. John Q. Smith's newly created account, the amount would also appear in Sam G. Dunn's entry.  

I assumed something went wrong with the importation of the new member entries.  As an experiment, I deleted one of the new member records throwing wrong Ledger entries and manually entered it as a new record.  Now, when I run the script Setup Receipts Report, these newly created records' entries do not show up in the Ledger.  It seems as though these ledger records are not linking/making it into the ledger file per say.

This is fairly catastrophic, as these reports are used for several things, including putting paid members on the list to recieve the magazine that comes as part of their membership.  

ANY help or ideas would be great.   

Alex

• 1. Re: Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger
          philmodjunk

We really need to know what tables exist and how they are related in order to have both invoices and a ledger in place. If I had your file, i'd be checking those relationships and any auto-entered serial numbers used in those relationships. It's entirely possible that you have two or more records with duplicated serial numbers due to importing records from your old copy into the new. If there are several tables of related info, this could get really messy in a hurry.

• 2. Re: Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger
            AlexMason

Problem is, I've been fiddling with it since I posted, and I've learned a few new things.  There is an odd element of randomness inherent in what's going on.  Like I said deleted one of the faulty entries that imported, and manually entered the same info by creating a new record.  I thought it wasn't showing up but what it was doing was far worse.  It was taking the ledger entry and overwriting a previous ledger entry in a different (also newly imported but not newly created) record.  Trying it again, it's doing the same thing, but to an altogether different (but again, newly imported) record.  

Wacky stuff, and very frustrating.  

I would be willing to manually enter the few hundred new records by hand to solve the problem, but it seems that even newly created (CTRL N) records are throwing these bizarre errors.  

I'll try and give you the information you need.  I'm kind of new to this but feeling my way around.  Most of the information is standard member stuff (name, address, #code, phone, email, etc.)

The ledger portion has a few manual windows and some procedurally calculated ones

On the left is Date Payment Recieved window, manual, next to that is an Amount Recieved category, which is generated from the next few ones, which are various forms of payment windows.  each category is totalled at the bottom, including the daily total (Amount Recieved).  I hope this helps but I'm sure I'm not being detailed enough...

Thanks,

Alex 

• 3. Re: Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger
              philmodjunk

What you describe is consistent with importing data that puts records in your table(s) with serial numbers that match others already in the table.

Consider this possible example:

In your new PC at the time you copied over the file, there could be an auto-entered serial number field with 2300 as the value to be entered into the next new record. With an auto-entered serial number, this value increments automatically with each new record. You then created 20 new records each numbered from 2300 to 2319.

Then 5 new records are created in your original copy of the file on the older computer. They'll be numbered from 2300 to 2304. When you imported those records into your copy on the new computer, you ended up with 10 records, numbered from 2300 to 2304 with duplicate values in the serial number field. The result can be utterly chaotic if this field is used in relationships to other tables in your database.

Try going to manage | database | Relationships and capturing a zoomed, cropped screen shot of the relationships and table occurrence boxes found there. If you capture it as a jpg, gif or png file, you can use the controls below Post A Answer to upload it so I and others can see what you have and from there we can tell you where to look for such possible issues in your data.

• 4. Re: Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger
                AlexMason

I will do that for sure next time I'm in.  I'm running out the door right now.  I figured it might be something like that after your last post.  Quick question, how does one view the autogenerated serial number?  I can't seem to work my way to it.  I've deleted new records that might have a conflicting serial number, but I'm still throwing weird errors.

Cheers,

Alex

• 5. Re: Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger
                  philmodjunk

That's one of the reasons why I asked to see the relationships graph. THe fields used in relationships are very often auto-entered serial numbers.

Once you know what field to look at, you can go to manage | Database | fields, find the field, double click it and then click the auto-enter tab to see the auto-enter settings--including the next serial value setting.

Once you know what field to look at, you can use the field tool to add it to a layout if you can't find it on one of the layouts. That way you can examine the actual values in this table. You can also enter find mode and enter an ! operator in that field to find all records with a duplicate value in that field.

• 6. Re: Help!  After porting to PC new entries don't make it into the Ledger
                    AlexMason

Hey, sorry for the lag.  This was indeed it.  auto-generated serial number problems were causing very strange ledger inputs.  It's solved now.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Alex