5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2011 1:04 PM by philmodjunk

HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???

TinaBrennan

Title

HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???

I'm new to this and was beginning to work with tables.   The only table I have at this time contains over 200 fields and those fields are "connected" to several layouts.  I'm not sure how I did it, but I renamed the only table I have and all the fields in my layouts say "table missing".    The table that was renamed still has all the number of fields and number of records showing.  Is there hope?   Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???
          philmodjunk

You must have done something more than change the name of the table or this would not happen. (Changing a table's name or a table occurrence's name alone won't break the link between the fields on the layout and the table occurrence selected for the layout.)

Did you by any chance change the name selected in "Show Records From" in layout setup?

Did you delete a table occurrence "box" in Manage | Database | Relationships?

• 2. Re: HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???
            TinaBrennan

I'm not really sure what I did, I just know I was trying to set up a new table and "experimenting" with things and that was the end result. Can it be fixed?

• 3. Re: HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???
              philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database | Relationships

what do you see in this window?

Do you see a "box" for your table here?

• 4. Re: HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???
                TinaBrennan

Well, there was 3, but I was able to delete two of them without any problems.  The only table now is called "data file" and when I click on the "data file" it shows all my fields are in there but it names the table as Physican Specialty (with all the fields and records) and another table under it that is also called "data file" with one field and no records.  Can delete the data file with one field and one record and then rename the physician specialty to data file without loosing my fields or records? 

• 5. Re: HELP!  What did I do...and how can I fix it???
                  philmodjunk

Deleting them is what may have messed up your layouts...

In Manage | Database | Relationships, you are not creating or deleting tables, you are working with occurrences of the tables you've created on the tables tab. Think of these as "labels" for your existing tables used so you can link them in a variety of different relationships. Your layouts link to one of these occurrences in Show Records From in Layout Setup... (Enter layout mode and pull down the layouts menu.)

If you delete a table occurrence here that is listed in Show Records from for one of your layouts, it looses it's "link" to your tables and all the fields pop up with the "Missing" warnings that you are seeing.

To learn more about table occurrences, you may want to take a look at this tutorial thread:  Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?