Help! I'm a beginner....
Hey...I've recently downloaded filemaker pro and have come to the horrible realization that I have no idea how to create the database that I need lol
I have a small home business (an agency) and save all my data in excel...basically my data link to each of the documents that I deal with (in bold below)...it goes like this:
- Item name
- Status = List: Pending quotation (PQT)/ Pending delivery (PIN)/ Cancelled/ Another supplier
- Request for quotation (client A) = REQ#, date
- Quotation (client B) = QT#, date, price, means of transport (air/sea) delivery time
- Purchase Order (client A) = PO#, date, due date
- Order confirmation (client B) = OC#, date, ETA
- Delivery documents (client B) = IN#, date, date of arrival
- Payment = List: Y/ N
The excel file is a simple list with the items above as column headings.
I've successfully imported the excel file into filemaker (yay!) and have begun to play around with the different layouts etc. I know the find function pretty well because as I update the status as orders/deliveries comes in, I've updated the info that way.
I'm now at the stage of creating reports. For example:
- I'd like to get a list of pending deliveries (i.e. only showing records that have the status "PIN"): In excel I'd do a filter for "PIN" in the Status column, and then copy/paste the data into another spreadsheed to make it look like a report. I'm hoping FMP can do this?
- I'd also like to monitor payments made up to certain dates and sum the values of the orders: In excel I'd just sort and highlight the "price" column, for records with Y in the "Payment" column.
This might all seem so basic but I've really forgotten a lot of my 1st year CS course...I'm just trying to standardize reports that will automatically update as I update the status of the orders. Also, it might be nice to check which items are being ordered more regularly and that sort of thing. I'm not sure if this would require writing scripts, doing requests or creating relational tables...
I hope I've explained myself ok!
Can anyone give me a hint or point me in the right direction?