1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 4:41 PM by JosephYetto

HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales

JosephYetto

Title

HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales

Just merged records from Bento and I am having a difficult time trying to create the things I could do in Bento. I used Bento for my inventory and sales. I was able to create reports on the total I paid for items in a year along with sales total. I am new to FM and maybe it is just too much for me.

Thanks

Joie

• 1. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
          davidanders

There is information you can include that will help answer your questions.
          Please Help Us to Help You...

• 2. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
            philmodjunk

Much depends on how your tables and relationships are designed. There's an inventory starter solution you can open using "New from starter solution..." you may want to examine it for ideas in how to set up your own system to do what you need.

If that's not enough to get you started, please describe how you need your inventory system to work. There are a number of methods possible and the best approach needs to be selected to fit your actual business procedures.

• 3. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
              JosephYetto

Thanks. I have looked at that, but the one I have is from Bento and I am not sure it would all transfer into those categories. My system is pretty basic, but with it I can at least run totals on what has been sold or not. I am not worried so much as to quantity because most of my items are one of a kind. I have a filed for sold date and one for sold price and I would like to be able to add up the sales by date. I also have a field for the cost and I would like to run a total at the end of the year of the costs.

Bento was just fine until it stopped working on my Ipad after software update.

Thanks

I have a mac and using the new version on FM Pro in it's trial period.

• 4. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                philmodjunk

I didn't suggest that you import your data into the starter solution but that you examine it to see how it works so that you can take ideas from it and apply it to your own solution.

You really haven't described enough detail for us to suggest much that would help you, but you might want to learn how to define summary fields.

A summary field can compute an aggregate value such as a total, count or average over a found set of records or a related set of records so it is likely to be something that you need to get what you need to work.

• 5. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                  JosephYetto

I know you didn't suggest the transfer. I had already done that.  How do I learn how to define summary fields? Where is that found? a little more detail for example.

I have a field on my table that I record how much an item sells for. I also have one for the amount I paid for that item and the date it sold. I would like to be able run a find to give me the amount of sales per my range and the cost of the items per my range whatever that may be. I hope this helps.

• 6. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                    philmodjunk

Summary fields can be looked up in FileMaker Help.

• 7. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                      JosephYetto

Did that. Not great explanation for a newcomer. 

• 8. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                        JosephYetto

I will try to fumble my way through it. Thanks

• 9. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                          philmodjunk

Yes, but I keep hitting the limitation that I don't know what tables, fields etc you have defined nor what form your report with these totals needs to take and thus cannot be specific unless you share that information.

• 10. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                            JosephYetto

See this is where I am lost because I thought I was giving you that info. Maybe I can copy and paste the screen to show you. 

• 11. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                              JosephYetto

Here is some info I mistakenly put on another section of the forum. 

I as new as you can get to FM as I downloaded it today. I have a Mac with 10.8.5. I am not using the starter solution. I am using the information transferred from Bento. It formed it's own table. You ask about a script and I have no idea what you are talking about. That's how new I am. I would love to have a calculation as that is what I need to do. I would like to be able to add up my sales from my sold field at the end of the year. Iw ould also like to add up my cost from that field also. Basic stuff for a not so basic program.

• 12. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                                philmodjunk

I see exactly two field names in your initial post and nothing thereafter.

No description of whether this is a single table or not. No indication as to whether you want a total over some records or all records....

That makes things pretty vague.

• 13. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                                  JosephYetto

Seems pretty complicated. Just one table with several fields. I would like to know how to do the calculations I need so I can do them on any record. Obviously it seems vague to you and very clear to me. I appreciate your help though. 

• 14. Re: HELP! Need help in FM Pro creating total sales
                                    philmodjunk

Yes, but you can see your data, your table definition and your layout. You have a picture in your head as to what you want to see on the scree and/or the printed page. I can't see much of any of that.

Just as a guess, here's a very simplistic use of a summary field. Let's say you have one record in your table for each sales transaction with a number field named InvoiceTotal. You want the total of either all invoices or a group of invoices to display on your layout.

In Manage | Database | Fields add a new field, sTotalSales and select Summary as the field data type.

A dialog appears asking you to select how you want this field to work. Select the "total of" option as you want a total and click the "InvoiceTotal" field as this is the field that you want to add up.

Now click OK until you are back to your layout. If the field did not get automatically added to your layout, enter layout mode and add it to your layout.

This field will report the total of all records in your found set. If you perform a find for all Invoides with "Sacramento" in the City field, you'll get a total for that group of records. Select Show All Records from your Records menu and you'll get a total over all the records in the table.

But there are many, many options that I have assumed on your behalf that may not fit what you actually want to accomplish here.

1 2 Previous Next