1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 25, 2010 3:08 PM by LaRetta_1

Help! Novice in FM Pro 11 Advance,Can't share host file in Network

xtremu

Title

Help! Novice in FM Pro 11 Advance,Can't share host file in Network

I am using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced for the database of the Library System. I want to share it across the Network but I can't. I already turned on the Network Sharing option under the FileMaker Network Settings and Shared the file under currently Open Ffiles and chose All users option under Network Access to file. I am using windows XP and Vista computer.

Using a shared computer by clicking Open Remote File, click to Host File, highlight Host and Available file and hit open button, the system give us the pop-up box and it says " The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the Licensed key section, Licensed key conflict occured etc." and if I hit the  ok button the system will automatically close. Please help..

Thanks in advance for the great help..

xtremu

• 1. Re: Help! Novice in FM Pro 11 Advance,Can't share host file in Network
          LaRetta_1

The file must first be opened on  the sharing computer (and it should NOT be your network server; it can destroy you file if you do this).  FileMaker can be its own server but it is limited and if the box you use as the 'server' isn't a true server (and running Windows 2003 * or better) then you can crash the file and damage it.

Simply ... it is best to use FileMaker Server if more than just 5 or so people.  Either way, you need to study the information available about proper hardware and configurations ... that is ... if your data is important to you. :-)

* check the exact specs for your OS and version on the FMI website