4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 4:14 PM by davidhead

Help! Recover deleted records?

LMGD

Title

Help! Recover deleted records?

Using Filemaker Pro 8.5. ext .fp7

Ok, I accidentally clicked on "delete all records" instead of "delete record". After I noticed I could not undo, I immediately went and made a copy of the physical file, hoping the changes didn't flush to the file. When I open the copy/or recover it/save as compact, it does something internally and the filesize drops significantly (%20?). I'm hoping it works something like the windows file system where only the master index table was altered but the data is still there somewhere (in which case I can code something to scan for the data).

Is there anyway to recover the data? or dump all data blocks (reguardless of integrity) to a readable plain text format?

The table structure and relations etc. are not important, all I need back is the raw data, EVEN if its corrupted/damaged/partially overwritten.

I) The “Save as Compacted Copy” is the easiest and most effective fix for many cases. This process will copy all of the data and rebuild the tree structure of the database. This may cause data that should have been deleted to reappear if data was not correctly deleted.

• 1. Re: Help! Recover deleted records?
          davidhead

Unfortunately your only hope is a recent backup.

If you do not have one, there is a lesson learned - I did exactly what you have done many years ago and now never work without a safety net (backup). 

• 2. Re: Help! Recover deleted records?
            obeechi
               A copy a day keeps deep grief away. Backup drives help to store these extra copies, and rotating two external drives is good practice but it's a still juggling, so I've become a fan of GTech's TB GSafe which is RAID 0. 
            • 3. Re: Help! Recover deleted records?
              LMGD

Unfortunately it was "live" data, hence irreproducible; and all from that last work session. For the record I do have backups, just not mid-session backups. It would be more helpful if someone can assert that the deleted data is definitely no longer in the file (the 20% that it seems to truncate). or some information on the fp7 format so i can code something to salvage.

• 4. Re: Help! Recover deleted records?
                davidhead

LMGD wrote:

It would be more helpful if someone can assert that the deleted data is definitely no longer in the file (the 20% that it seems to truncate). or some information on the fp7 format so i can code something to salvage.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - there is no way to salvage that data.