2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2010 5:38 PM by comment_1

Help!!  How do I relate several items in my layout?

dzyner

Title

Help!!  How do I relate several items in my layout?

I'm creating a database where some items will need to "relate" to others in the database, but I cannot figure out how to set up my Layout to allow me to select the items that relate to one another as I'm entering them via the Layout. For example, if Widget 5, Widget 7, and Widget 124 all relate in some way (maybe they're all part of the same lot) I want to be able to "tag" them all somehow so when I pull one of the three up in my details layout, I can see the other two and quickly find them (e.g. click on a link perhaps). Hopefully this all makes sense.

• 1. Re: Help!!  How do I relate several items in my layout?
          davidanders

If you make a field called LOT, and each of those records (items) have the same lot number.

You would do a find for that lot number and only those records would be found.

In list view, you would see three entries.

In form view, you could advance through the three items.

• 2. Re: Help!!  How do I relate several items in my layout?
            comment_1

dzyner wrote:

For example, if Widget 5, Widget 7, and Widget 124 all relate in some way (maybe they're all part of the same lot)

Maybe there would be a table of Lots and another table of Widgets - and they would be related by LotID.

dzyner wrote:

when I pull one of the three up in my details layout, I can see the other two and quickly find them (e.g. click on a link perhaps).

If you define a relationship of the Widgets table to itself, matching on LotID, you can show the related widgets in a portal.