6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 6:51 PM by ChelsiePierce

Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!

ChelsiePierce

Title

Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!

I have a Job (JobID) which has one or more Presentations (PresentationID). Each Presentation has many items (PresentationItemID). For some reason the PresentationItem associated with the Presentation will change it's PresentationID on it's own, associating itself with another Presentation on another Job. I can go in and change the PresentationID on the PresentationItem back to the correct ID number but it will change itself again. I've never had a problem like this before and I have no idea how it is changing the field like that. It will usually only do it for 1 wrong item at a time but I can't give presentations with wrong or missing item and I can't go in and change the ID's all the time. Help!! What is going on???

• 1. Re: Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!
          SteveMartino

When do you see this happen?  As your flipping thru records, after you create/modify records?

I would turn the script debugger on and see if there are any script/layout triggers that are changing the foreign key.

How are you creating your related records?

• 2. Re: Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!
            philmodjunk

Is this a shared/hosted database with more than one user editing records at the same time? Might another user have changed the value?

• 3. Re: Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!
              ChelsiePierce

I don't have Advanced so I can't run a script debugger, any other suggestions?

It happens when I go into my presentation layout (the layout I use to give the presentation).

The script screenshot is attached.

Yes, it is a shared/hosted database but there is only 1 other user and they are not logged in.

I'll post a screenshot of the data entry.

• 4. Re: Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!
                ChelsiePierce

Here is the data entry screenshot.

There are 2 portals on the Job page, one for Presentations (PresentationID) and the other for the presentation items (PresentationItemID). 

When I hit the Presentation button at the top all the items I have entered for a particular Presentation are displayed but there is usually another from a completely separate presentation.

• 5. Re: Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!
                  philmodjunk

Line 3 of your script modifies data by changing the value of  PresentationID to the value of the variable.

That would seem to be the change that you are seeing and is unlikely to be the correct way to do what you want here.

A script that enters find mode just before line 3 and then uses perform find instead of Find Matching Records would seem to be the better approach to use here and a method that will avoid changing data in a field.

• 6. Re: Help!! Field changes on it's own!!!!
                    ChelsiePierce

Oh my goodness. I'm not sure how I missed that one! I don't event use Find Matching Records...I have no idea how that got in there but I sure do appreciate you finding it for me! That makes perfect sense. Usually when I am accessing the presentation it is from an iPad and I can't go in to look at the script. Since it was doing exactly what I wanted it to I assumed the script was fine but when it was pointed out that it only happens after I hit the button the script makes sense. I'm sorry, I don't know how I missed that. Thanks so much!