13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 7:21 PM by sandramedina

Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...

dzyner

Title

Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...

I'm trying to set up three additional image import areas in my layout and cannot figure out what I need to do differently to get the additional photos to import into their respective containers. Ive set up three additional fields (photo2, photo3, and photo4), and have experimented with the "Import Photo" button attributes and can't seem to make it work. Every time I try to import a photo into one of the new containers it replaces the photo in the original. My assumption is that the script the Import Photo button is set up to run is only set up to import the image into the original "Photo" field in the database. So how do I change the setting on the additional three containers' Import Photo buttons to get this to work, and am I going to have to also change settings on the Export Photo buttons on the additional three containers?

I'm using FMP Advanced version 10 on Mac 10.6.2. I've just started using FM so I'm VERY new to this environment. The template I'm using is a modified version of Product Catalog I believe. Let me know if you need more info.

• 1. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
          Steve Wright

When you say import photos, are you using the insert picture script step ?

If so, try :

go to field [photo 1]

Insert Picture

go to field [photo 2]

Insert Picture

You may want to think about setting up a  secondary table and relationship for storing your photos and using a portal to show them.  This way, you can add as many images as required to a record without having to keep adding fields.

If you are using import such as from a digital camera etc, its not something I myself use so have no advice to offer im afraid.

• 2. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
            dzyner

Hi SWS,

Yes, I'm using the Import Picture script. I get what you're saying functionally, but I don't know how to implement it. Remember I'm a newbie :)

When I click on the Import Picture button I can only choose one function, it does not allow me to select "Go To Field" AND "Insert Picture" at the same time. Does that make sense?

Can you please be more elaborate with your suggestion - tell me the steps I need to take and specifically what I need to enter or select? That would be extremely helpful.

Thanks SWS!

• 3. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
              Steve Wright

Here is a quick sample file which should help you get what you want... I hope...

Sample_Image_Import.fp7

There are two DB tables, one for your main record, the other for the images

Theres a relationship I have set up via File > Manage Databases, this links the main record to the images using an ID field

There is also two scripts, one for insert image and one for import images  (File > Manage Scripts)

In the portal, you can add individual images, or you can import multiple images from a folder, which will link to that record

• 4. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                dzyner

Wow SWS, this is exactly how I need this to work, but I just don't know how to get this into MY layout? Can I simply copy and past from your document to mine? If not, I don't see how I'm going to make this work in my layout. You're so much more advanced than I am; I can't even figure out where the code in located for your script so I can see how you made this work.

• 5. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                  Steve Wright

Ive just done a quick video for you, I hope it helps to get your started on this.

Its not perfect by any means but it should help... at least this way I don't have to type a lot and you don't have to read it  ;-)

The existing table "Your Own Table" is obviously... your table.

I also assume you have a field such as ID which is an auto generate serial number.

http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/sws-solutions/?action=view&current=video1.flv

Edit : Doesnt look as clear on photobucket, so if you are having problems and want another copy of it let me know and Ill upload it to my own server and send you a link via PM

• 6. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                    dzyner

SWS, thanks for the AWESOME video!! It did the trick! I'm now up and running. 

Thanks again for all the effort you put into this. The forum is lucky to have you as a contributor!

• 7. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                      intern10

SWS,

Thank you for responding to this.  I have the same exact problem as the user you answered these questions for. 

Your video was amazing & helped tremendously.  My problem now is getting the images to appear in my main table (Contact Management- database: from FM Starter Solutions)  I click on the "import folder" button from there & it imports the images into the Images Table ( I created based on your video) but cannot be seen in my Main Table.  Does that make sense?

Also- I wondered if there is a method I should be using of naming the images (in their file) to correspond with the numbering in FM.

-I'm also a FM newbie & creating an important database for the company I am working for.

Thank you for your time.

• 8. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                        Steve Wright

Referring back to my video, the table which is initially in view is basically where your main table would be.

Ive not looked at the contact management solution for a while, however each contact will have a unique ID field which should be an auto entered serial number.

This is the number which I am capturing as a variable (in the first script step) then setting as the foreign key in the images table after the import, to ensure all related images can be linked to that main record.

You can then (as I did) add a relationship from your contacts table, to the images table based from the ID field to the images foreign key of course you can name it what you like so for instance Contacts::ID = Images::ContactID

You can then add a portal to show records from this relationship, so the portal would be drawn on the contacts layout and be set to show records from the Images table occurrence.

You would then have for instance if you where on the record for Mr Jones (with unique ID 1234) all images with the Images::Contact ID set to 1234 would show in the portal.

There is no necessity to name your files anything special (at least not from my perspective) that would just add extra work.

P.S The video wasn't that great really... but if it helps.. then its a good start :-)

Edit : There are some pretty decent videos available on this website, worth a look....

http://www.vtc.com/products/FileMaker-Pro-10-Beginner-Tutorials.htm 

http://www.vtc.com/products/FileMaker-Pro-10-Intermediate-Tutorials.htm 

The intermediate ones in particular have some on relationships etc

• 9. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                          Thanks

Nice SWS

Just what I needed, did'nt think to add the main record ID as a variable at the start...

Can you suggest what happens when the main record is deleted, can you do an update which deletes related records?

thanks

DOH... figured it in the relationship settiing ' delete records from B table when a record from A table is deleted'...

tks

• 10. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                            intern10

SWS,

Thank you for your response it got me one step closer.

Now what is happening is a blue box is showing up in the Contact managment database where I expect to see the image or image thumbnail. 

When I click on this blue box  a sound dialog box pops up.

I will look at the videos you suggested.  What I have found is that the videos I've seen so far are not addressing my specific question.

Thank you for your time!

• 11. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                              intern10

SWS,

Thank you for your response it got me one step closer.

Now what is happening is a blue box is showing up in the Contact managment database where I expect to see the image or image thumbnail. 

When I click on this blue box  a sound dialog box pops up.

I will look at the videos you suggested.  What I have found is that the videos I've seen so far are not addressing my specific question.

Thank you for your time!

• 12. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                                Sterling

To SWS

I  look at your Viedo i think it will solve my problem, I would like to import a Folder of photos and have the photos goto Contaner fields 1-54, ???

I cand get any sound from any of your Viedos and the screen is so small my old eyes can't see it.

But do I need to daowload a new viewer to get sound ?  my volume is up but no sound ??

thanks

• 13. Re: Help!! Trying to add multiple image imports...
                                  sandramedina

Hello SWS, you have no idea of how helpful your video can be, but I still have some questions to my particular case, I'll try to explain it to you hoping you can help me:

I have a DB in which I have a master table that holds information about flower varieties, the table currently has more than 7000 records, and it grows periodically each time new varieties come to our catalogue. I have designed a layout to show all the information about each variety, coming not only from the master table but also from 4 or 5 other tables containing additional info, now I need 2 things: first, to show in the main layout a picture of the variety I have stored on my hard disk, and each time I add records to the master table, I will also add the picture file to my disk (using for the image file a name similar to the unique code for each variety, followed of course by the .jpg extension (for example a variety is coded 09C800, the picture file is called 09C800.jpg). The second thing I need is to be able to import the already exisiting more than 7000 pictures to the current tables, of course not having to retype all the information! Some additional information, I am new to Filemaker pro, I used to work with MS Access, but for different reasons I have to move to another software and I am learning to use FMPro; I definetely don't want to store the picture files on the DB, I prefer to store the file path on a particular field of a table; I need to be able to import the files (I mean the file paths) every time I have new pictures stored on my hard disk.

I hope you can help me, your advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Sandra