11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 12:02 PM by boopboopdydoop

Help!!! Using Containers!!!

boopboopdydoop

Title

Help!!! Using Containers!!!

QUESTION:

HOW DO I POPULATE A CONTAINTER USING A DROP DOWN MENU THAT IS LINKED WITH RECORDS FROM ANOTHER TABLE? FOR EXAMPLE, MY DROP DOWN MENU CONTAINS RECORD # 1, 2, AND 3 FROM ANOTHER TABLE. WHAT DO I DO SO THAT WHEN I SELECT EITHER RECORD 1, 2, OR 3 FROM THE MENU THE CONTAINER FIELD SHOWS THE PICTURE FROM THE SELECTED RECORD IN THE OTHER TABLE?

THANKS!!

Edit note: removed "Shouting Capitals" from the subject line

• 2. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
          philmodjunk

To start, you need a relationship linking the two tables.

Table1:: DropDownField = Table2::KeyField

Then you can use the field tool to add container fields from table 2 to your table 1's layout. Select a value from Table1:: DropDownField and the containers from table 2 will show the pictures from a matching record in that table.

• 3. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
            boopboopdydoop

I did what you suggested but the image still is not showing up in the container. The records are showing up in the drop down menu, but no image in the container. What should I do?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
              philmodjunk

How have you set up your layout?

Try using a portal, you can look up portals in filemakers help to see how it's done.

You might have more than one record that matches the value you selected in your drop down field.

There may be other explanations as well, but that's the first one to check. With a portal, you'll see all the matching records listed not just one--so that may reveal the problem.

Check your fields you are using as keys. Are they the same field type? Do they really have the same values. If you have other fields in the second table, do they appear?

• 5. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                boopboopdydoop

I tried adding a portal but no records show up in the portal....

=(

• 6. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                  philmodjunk

Which indicates that you do not have any related records.

Judging from your other thread, you have several tables all related by the model# field. Are all the model# fields in all your tables either all text or all number? (Check the type column in Manage | Database | Fields.)

Another check: I used placeholder names for fields and tables. Post a step by step example of what you've set up and what you are doing that doesn't work.

My relationship is...

I entered/selected the value.... I expected to see .... but didn't.

I can use that info to explore what you've done step by step to see where the problem lies.

• 7. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                    boopboopdydoop

My model# field was set to "number" so I changed it to "text" and that fixed my problem with sharing info from one layout to another. But I am still having problems with the image being sent over. In one of your posts you mention adding a field to the layout. There are two buttons: the field/control option and the field option (tool)...which one do I use?

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                      philmodjunk

I'm answering in terms of Filemaker 10. At the top of your screen there's a horizontal bar called the "status area". In browse mode there's a series of buttons that appear. The third button from the left has a rectangle with a black arrow pointing down. If you place your mouse over this button, a tool tip pops up telling you that this is the field tool. Click and drag from this button to the location on your layout where you want a field.

You could also select "Field" from the insert menu, but the field tool allows you to select a location where you want to place your field, so that makes it a nicer way to do this.

You can use the field/control option to make an existing edit box point to a different field, but that's doing this the hard way.

Keep in mind though that your portal doesn't show any records. That suggests you have a problem with either the relationship or the values you've entered in each record in order to get them to match via the relationship.

• 9. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                        boopboopdydoop

Ok I'm trying to create a relationship between the dropdown in the product layout and the container in the drawing layout, but it wont let me make the relationship because the field is a container....

• 10. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                          philmodjunk
                             You should link to the model# field--not the container. Filemaker needs to know the ID number of the record rather than what's stored in the container field.
                          • 11. Re: Help!!! Using Containers!!!
                            boopboopdydoop

Got it! That did the job! Thank you so much I've been playing with this for the past few days and it was killing me!

=)

Thanks agian!