7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 12:58 PM by philmodjunk

Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables

ThomasinaMagoon

Title

Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables

I used Filemaker Pro 5.5 for many years and loved it (except for the last two) and now am attempting to create a pretty simple database with one database being "contacts" and another being "projects" for a construction company. I want the contact info to pull from "contacts" into the "project" database that I am tracking.

I have given the each "client" a number in the "contacts" database (it's indexed and unique to each client). I am beside myself how to connect the two? I know i am missing something simple? There wasn't the "tables" format in 5.5 and I keep getting "unrelated" table messages.

What am I doing wrong, this should be easy?

• 1. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
          philmodjunk

Do you know how to link tables in Manage | Database | Relationship?

Drag from a field in one table to a field in another in this line and you will have linked the two tables and they'll no longer be "unrelated".

Do you know how to double click the lines linking two table occurrence boxes in this relationship graph so that you can specify options for that relationship?

That's where you can specify "Allow creation of records via this relationship", sort orders and other options. Some are just what you are familiar whith when defining relationships in 5.5. Others will be completely new.

Once you have the relationship set up correctly, you can "pull" data from related table just like you could in 5.5. You can use looked up value field options to copy the data or you can place the field from the related table directly on the layout to get a value that is not copied, but will update automatically if the value is edited in the related table's record.

• 2. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
            ThomasinaMagoon

Phil, thank you very much for your help.....am I missing any steps?

I linked the databases and dragged the fields to eachother like you said, and of course that did do something new, but when I go to add that field from my original data file, I am still getting an "unrelated file" do I have to make the same relationships in both databases (which I did do-and still no reation)- I know I am so close

• 3. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
              philmodjunk

The fact that you are connectiong tables from two different files is a new detail here.

The process I described is correct, but with tables from an external file, you first have to add a blank table occurrence (bottom left button), then use add Filemaker Data Source to find the file and select the table from that other file. I don't know if you did that correctly or not here.

How are you "adding a field from the other file"?

Copy and Paste? Or are you using the field tool to add the field? If you are using copy and paste, there could be a name mismatch between the name of the table occurrence in one file and the fields table occurrence name in the other.

If Table Occurrence is a new term, you may want to read this article: 

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 4. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
                ThomasinaMagoon

Okay, apoliogies...I am pulling ymhair out bercasue I am so close.

I have two databses: CONATCTS and PROJECTS

I want to bring in CONTACTS data to PROJECTS. I gave the contacts each a serial number, that file I am happy with. I did use templates for both files (I liked some of the built in features).

I am still getting the "unrelated file" message.

I am inserted form the field option under "insert and pulling forn the CONTACTS clientid- I am baffled.

• 5. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
                  philmodjunk

I am inserted form the field option under "insert and pulling forn the CONTACTS clientid

I don't follow that. What do you mean by "field option". Are you adding a field to a layout while you are in layout mode or are you doing something else?

Just to check, I pulled down the insert menu--both while in browse and also while in layout modes and don't see any option in this menu for inserting a field--and that's why I'm not sure that I understand your description here.

Are you sure this says "Unrelated FILE" and not "<Unrelated TABLE>"?

• 6. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
                    ThomasinaMagoon

Okay "<unreleated table>"

I am missing a small step somethere

I connected the databases

In layout mode, I am inserting a field- is that the wrong way to do it? I just want the contact id and name to comeinto my project database....

• 7. Re: Help-cannot figure our how to connect two databaes using tables
                      philmodjunk

I was mainly concerned that you might have copied a  field object from a layout in one table and tried to paste it into a layout in the other file. That can work, BTW, but differences in table occurrence names can cause a problem.

<unrelated table> reallly should read <unrelated table occurrence>.

You'll get that error text if the table occurrence listed in Show Records from in layout Setup... for your layout is not related in manage | Database | Relationships to the table occurrence from which you've selected your field. Here's a possible explanation:

You have this in your relationships graph:

contactsForProjects------<Projects

Contacts

Where Contacts and contactsForProjects are two table occurences to the same table. If I create a layout where Projects is listed in Show Records From and I try to add a field from Contacts instead of contactsForProjects, I'll get that error text even though it's really the same field from the same datasource table.