AnsweredAssumed Answered

HELP: Automatically creating a record in Table B from input on related Table A

Question asked by awmsg on Jan 20, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2010 by ninja

Title

HELP: Automatically creating a record in Table B from input on related Table A

Hi,

I am very new to filemaker and am currently working with 7.0.

I thought that clicking the option "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" in the Edit Relationship box would automatically create a new record in Table B when something is entered into the related field in Table A. This does not seem to be the case.

I am working with two main tables and the related field is simply "Project" which contains a unique project name. Table A is the main table I am working with that contains general administrative information about each project and Table B is the related table that contains specific details about documents related to these projects. I ultimately want to put something in place that automatically creates a new record in Table B when a new record is created in Table A via this "Project" field.

From my general searches/reading, it seems that I can accomplish this either through a "portal" or a script. Can someone walk me through how to set this up? Also, if this isn't what "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" accomplishes, what, if anything, does checking off this option accomplish/allow one to do?

Thanks!!

Outcomes