7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 1:05 PM by philmodjunk

Hidden Fields

ColeSchulte

Title

Hidden Fields & Sliding

I am pretty new to Filemaker (13 Pro Advanced) and while I have watched most of the training videos on lynda . com I am still largely just figuring it out as I go. I have hit a pretty big issue with the way a large report I built is coming out. I am sure there is a better way to have built the report, but it was what made sense at the time.  The report itself is taking fields from various categories and listing our auditors comments on the area of review when the auditor elected (done by radio button in each cat.) to "send" their comments to the report. There are about 10 categories with each having its own relevant fields listed vertically down the report. What I want to happen is for the report to generate and only show the categories (and relevant fields) that the auditors elected to have sent to the report. All other fields being hidden and only the categories the auditor selected show concatenated without the white space issue I am having currently. 

My problem is that while sliding is working it isn't doing it quite as expected. My hunch is that while I have fields sliding up and being hidden, based on a field selection elsewhere in the database, the sliding fields still have a height associated with them so as they are hidden and then slide up, but the field height is piling up causing a large white space between the non-hidden categories (is this right?).

I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to figure this out on my own, but I am at the point that I need some outside input. 

In one of the attachments it shows a large white space between the two categories, there are 5-6 categories other categories  between the two displayed (Annual Program Evaluation and Survey Results). 

I put a link to an album with screenshots below, the link directs to here http://imgur.com/a/6tNzp#0 (its displayed odd for me below).

Thanks,

Cole

• 1. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
          philmodjunk

When you select that a field slide up, you also need to select the "resize enclosing part option".

When you select that a field slide up and resize, all objects located below it on the layout also need to be set to slide up and resize in order to remove the "white space" produced when the field slides.

And yes, this sounds like a database where a major redesign of your tables/fields/relationships might simplify what you are trying to do here by breaking up your multiple fields into multiple records in a related table.

• 2. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
            ColeSchulte

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. I have everything marked to slide up and resize with the top and left anchors turned on, but still end up with the same gaps. Anything else you can think of that may be causing it? I have seen other posts from you that listed a number of things to check with sliding fields, I am pretty sure I have checked all of those already. Is my assumption about the hidden fields sliding up incorrect? 

• 3. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
              philmodjunk

Are the fields hidden with the "hide when" setting or simply hidden because they are empty and sliding up?

My tests show that a hidden field will slide up just as though it is empty.

So if the white space is not being removed, I'd check the sliding properties of every layout object--not just the fields to see if they also have been set to slide up.

The list you were referring to:

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
              3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
              5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
              7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
              9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
              11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
              13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
              15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
              • 4. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
                ColeSchulte

The fields are hidden with a lot of  APEMinutes::ActionPlanstoEMS Copy ≠ "Yes" with the referenced fields being different for each section. I assume I have all of the fields & objects marked to slide up, I did a CTRL+A and then went to the position tab on the inspector and set the resizing anchors and set all of it to slide up based on all above objects. 

Could there be some object I may not be picking up through selecting all? 

One other question to ask, I had saw another post late last night about using merge fields instead of text when sliding. I have done that for text, but should I do the same for the edit boxes on the layout? 

• 5. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
                  philmodjunk

Merge fields are a useful option for sliding data and layout text around horizontally, it is less of an option for objects sliding vertically.

Some Text: <<FIeld1>> More text <<Field2>>

Might look like:

Some Text Some really large amount of text More Text 3

And merge fields are read only, they cannot be edited.

My best guess is that some layout object is not sliding due to it not actually being empty. This could be a field with returns and/or space characters in it or it could just be that some standard layout text isn't sliding up because it can't as the layout text above it cannot slide because while the fields are empty the field labels are not.

You might want to upload a screen shot of your layout to show what you are dealing with.

• 6. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
                    ColeSchulte

Hmmm, I read about using Trim to remove trailing spaces, but there isn't some other simple way to remove all trailing spaces and carriage returns is there? I posted my layout on the link above, it is pretty long so it is difficult to see everything.

I think I am going to just break this down into smaller reports and use a software to stitch the pages together to remove the white space. Hate to go this route, but I have to get this report out shortly so will have to go with a bandaid solution this time around and resolve whatever the issue is after it has been distributed.

• 7. Re: Hidden Fields & Sliding
                      philmodjunk

Rather than break down the report layout into smaller sections, I suggest restructuring your data model as I mentioned earlier. That can give you a solution that is much easier to work with in many ways--not just this report layout.

I don't see any "link above" so I cannot find a way to look at your layout.