4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 6:52 AM by philmodjunk

Hidden Objects / Fields and Printing

AndrewJudd

Title

Hidden Objects / Fields and Printing

Hi all, do objects still export to PDF even if hidden?

I can only imagine that is what is happening (and why I am getting blank pages on my PDFs). I have a button to include an additional container image of an artwork if the user would like. When this is clicked another image fills out a second page belonging to a record. When it is not clicked all objects on the second page are hidden. So when making a PDF some records should have two pages and some just one.

However, I am getting empty pages on the records where the user has not selected to include the additional image.

I have set margins to 0, made sure I'm not going over page breaks etc. I've also got objects on that second page set to slide up and re-size. That being said, even if they did slide up they would run over to a second page in size.. I can only assure therefore that hidden objects do export to print?

Is there a way to accomplish this?

thank you

• 1. Re: Hidden Objects / Fields and Printing
          philmodjunk

The hide object when isn't the issue. The problem is due to the fact that your layout has to be sized large enough to include those fields when they are visible or not. If there is even one pixel more than will "fit" on a given page, you will get a second page of output--often a blank page.

What you need to do is select all of the layout objects on that second page and set them to both "slide up" and to "resize enclosing part" on the Inspector's position tab.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Hidden Objects / Fields and Printing
            AndrewJudd

Thanks Phil, still can't see what the issue is.. Attached is a few screen shots for illustration purposes. I've even set the first object on the second page to start exactly at 29.7cm. The second at exactly the point where the first object ends and the body to end exactly at the bottom of the second object.

Any further ideas?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Hidden Objects / Fields and Printing
              AndrewJudd

side note, even with re-size enclosing part on the two object ticked..  I get the same result.

• 4. Re: Hidden Objects / Fields and Printing
                philmodjunk

All it takes is a layout, even after the slide up and resize, that is even 1 pixel too tall and you bet two pages. I can't read your screen shots as they are too small to read. Sometimes you have to upload them one at a time to get them at the right size.