11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 5:40 AM by JimMac

Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?

BradWieland

Title

Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?

Is it possible, when a field is empty, to hide both the field and the field marker?

• 1. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
          davidanders

The logic behind the request?

A duplicate layout without the field.

How the user gets to the layout would determine how to divert to one layout or another.

• 2. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
            BradWieland

David,

What I'm working on is for a furniture manufacturer. Some of the products have 3 options available with corresponding fields for each option...but not all products use all three options. I would just like to hide the field markers for the fields that don't get used.

• 3. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
              JimMac

If it is the Lable (marker?) that needs to be hidden and not the field entry box, the use Conditional Formating on the 3rd Label.

Use formula testing of:

If product has less than 3 options, set Label Text color to the same as background color and it will disappear.

And when the product has 3 it will reappear as orginally colored.

Jim...

• 4. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                BradWieland

Jim,

It is the field label that needs to be hidden. But, I'm not understanding what you mean about conditional formatting. How would I set up conditional formatting? Right now, I just have three different field sections for each of the three different options.

• 5. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                  JimMac

In the Layout mode, select the field Label, under the Format menu at top, select Condition... 

You will get a window for conditional formating.

Click Add button.  Then you have and option of useing a formula to conditional check the 3 product logic and change color

Jim..

• 6. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                    JimMac

Thinking a bit more, you can do the field enty background to be same as the Body background color and use the same logic.

and you could use a script trigger to even check the 3 entry to alert user that product doesnt support 3 options.

But....

If you do all that, David's answer is better to switch to layout for 2 options and another for the 3 options.

Jim...

PS: the menu is actually Conditional... and not Condition...

• 7. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                      philmodjunk

You may find this demo file on different ways to make layout objects appear and disappear useful:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8levaz6deiyzjr8/LayoutObjectVisibilityControlDemo.fp7

• 8. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                        BradWieland

Phil or Jim,

I like the idea Phil presents in this sample file (the one about increasing the font size to 500px). But I'm confused about how to accomplish it. As shown in the attached image, I have a "notes" field with a field marker. When the field is empty, I want the marker to disappear.

I know that I will do this with a Conditional Formatting formula for the "notes" field marker, but what should that formula look like? An IF statement, I assume:

If ( Appropriate Table::Notes = "" ; ????? )

• 9. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                          JimMac

In Layout mode selet Notes under the Format menu select Conditional... then ADD then Select to get you the logic editor...

Example logic remembering True result gives the desired format change [ i suggest same color as your background] and False will leave the label as Notes

If ( YourTable::FurnitureOption < 3 ; 1 ; 0 )    // 1=true set the conditional format  0 = false and leave as original layout color

Then you set the Text color to be background when [FurnitureOption was not option 3]

I am not in the 500px font fan club.  Apple just released a Retina display that has 5 times the pixel per inch or now that 500px is 100px and might show up. 

Jim....

• 10. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                            BradWieland

This worked for me, Jim; thanks for taking the time to help me out. (And good point about the Retina resolution!)

• 11. Re: Hide Empty Field AND Field Marker?
                              JimMac

I didn't have but 1 cup of coffee when seeing your 500px comment.  It is accutually 500pts... or font points "pts".  therer are 72 pts per printer's inch.

In other words a 72pt font is a "printed" 1 inch tall character.  500pt font is a good 5 inches tall, thus visually not seen in a half inch tall text field box.  display resolution should not effect the font pt relative size on you dispaly, but only clarity.

6 and 8 pt fonts will be very readable on Hi def Retina displays.

But...

I still prefer the color change or other visability tricks.

Jim...