1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 11:43 AM by philmodjunk

Hide empty fields

galeton

Title

Hide empty fields

I am working on a coin collecting program and I'd like to know if there is a way to not have fields show up that have no walues in them. For example I have many grade fields such as G4, VG8, F12, VF20, etc. I doubt this is doable but I've seen it done in applications made with Access where only the fields that have values in them are displayed. So if G4 was empty the values in VG8 would show first on the list and then the rest of the fields that have values are displayed. So it would look something like this

G4  $1.00

VG8 $2.00

F12 $3.00

VF20 $4.00

If G4 and F12 had no values the list would look like this

VG8 $2.00

VF20 $4.00

Is this possible using a portal? Thanks for any help. 

• 1. Re: Hide empty fields
          philmodjunk

In Filemaker, you can do this for when you print, preview or save as PDF. Take a look at the sliding and visibility section on the Inspector's position tab.

However, I'd consider making the grade fields separate related records, in which case your empty fields become non-existant related records and portals or list views will automatically list only those related "grade" records that actually exist.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          5. Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
          6. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.