5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 8:42 AM by gsainc

Hide fields

BLJ

Title

Hide fields

Hi,  I'm new to FMP (ver10) but have been using Access/foxpro/Dbase for (obviously) a while. 

Is there a way in FM to hide a field in a layout based on the selected value of another field.  ie if the value of the dropdown client list is "ABC", then the object named "ClientA_preference" in the same layout is made visible (to use the VBA term) otherwise it remains invisable

ta

BLJ

• 1. Re: Hide fields
          mrvodka
             Not as a direct option but you can use various other techniques. Do a simple search on here for the keyword "hide" and you should come across many posts regarding what you are looking for.
          • 2. Re: Hide fields
            BLJ

I'm not a novice to computers and forums, just FMP !

I had already done a searches in this forum and and the rest of the net on 'hide' (amonst a number of others),  and only went to the trouble to register and post a question in this forum because there was no answers or even work-arounds

Please don't feel you have to answer a post just to answer a post .. Isnull() is just as suitable a response ... if you know what that means

• 3. Re: Hide fields
              LaRetta_1

BLJ wrote:

Isnull() is just as suitable a response ... if you know what that means

Oh. What a beautiful attitude.  :smileymad:

• 4. Re: Hide fields
                mrvodka

BLJ wrote:

I'm not a novice to computers and forums, just FMP !

I had already done a searches in this forum and and the rest of the net on 'hide' (amonst a number of others),  and only went to the trouble to register and post a question in this forum because there was no answers or even work-arounds

Please don't feel you have to answer a post just to answer a post .. Isnull() is just as suitable a response ... if you know what that means

Well BLJ to respond to your previous posts here, lets break it down a bit shall we...

1. "I'm not a novice to computers"

Obviously if you on a forum posting a question...

2. "I'm not a novice to forums"

See #1

3.  "I had already done a searches in this forum"

Really?

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=true&q=hide&phrase=&one_or_more=&without=&f=subject&f=body&f=teaser&f=attach&f=tags&f=labels&page_size=10&author=&=

4. "and and the rest of the net on 'hide' (amonst a number of others)"

Again really? Well lets start with the largest search engine shall we...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=filemaker+hide+field

5. "Isnull() is just as suitable a response"

Well I guess the other forum members on here would have to agree with you, especially all those that have selected one of my posts as the solution...

You asked the question and I gave you an answer. If had had looked properly, you would have found lots of posts regarding this matter. I have answered that question so many times and really there are enough posts out there discussing it as well as many oy those with sample files.

My orig post was not trying to be funny or condescending for which you chose to personally attack.

Good luck.

• 5. Re: Hide fields
                  gsainc

WOW - this post got a little angsty.

Anyway if you have not found you answer you might try something like this…

- create a tab layout and give each tab an object name to identify it.

- create text feild setup as a radio button with a corresponding value list matching the tab object names.

- create a script to goto the object(tab) selected via the radio button field. (the radio button filed ha to be outside of the tabs box) the set script trigger to on modify in the radio button field.

- now you can hide the tab part by using a left tab justify with no effect and no outline.

This should create a layout that "appears to show content dynamically when a specific radio choice is made."

this is just a quick and dirty explanation to demonstrate one possible solution