1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 12:06 PM by philmodjunk

Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...

whiplash5000

Title

Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...

Hello-

I'm a newb when it comes to Filemaker and I'm having a difficult time with two aspects of a sub summary report that I have to make for work.  

Problem One- I have a long list of fields that have information in them- but some of the fields do not have data entered into the fields.  When this occurs, I want to hide the Label and the Field and have the information move up.  I set sliding/printing to 'sliding up based on All above and Also reduce the size of the enclosing part' but when I go to look at my report in preview mode, it doesn't move up, leaves the open field and keeps the label there. 

How do I remove the label and move the information up in this report?

Problem Two- I need to devise a script for the report that would allow information in the report to be added based on what tag I assign it.

For Example- if I add a film to my report that is in pre-production- I want it to only put the Start and Wrap of the film in the report.  If I add a film that is in post, I want it to display not the start and wrap but the Answer print and Release date.  

How would I accomplish this?

Thanks for the support!  

Justin 

• 1. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
          whiplash5000
             Sorry I forgot to add that I am using Filemaker 9 and MAC OS 10.5.8. Thanks!
          • 2. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
            philmodjunk

Fields will slide up when you print/preview the layout, but not in browse mode. In your situation, the field labels are not sliding as they are never "empty".

One solution is to redesign your layout into a tabular format where the field labels form a single row across the layout that doesn't need to slide.

Another solution is to create calculation fields that return the feld's label text only if the field is not empty. Then put these fields on your layout and set them to slide up.

Example: Let's say you have a data field named "Footage".

Create a calculation field: cFootageLabel and enter If ( Not isempty ( Footage ) ; "Footage" ; "" )   // last clause ; "" is optional.

Now delete the layout text "Footage" from your layout and replace it with the cFootageLabel field and set it to slide up, reduce size of enclosing part.

Final note, be sure to select all layout objects below your sliding fields and set them to slide up as well.

• 3. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
              whiplash5000

Hi there-

Thank you so very much for the first answer- I'm looking forward to trying out the second option listed, as I can't make it go across the page due to the sheer volume of fields I have. 

What about my second part of my problem? 

Problem Two- I need to devise a script for the report that would allow information in the report to be added based on what tag I assign it.

For Example- if I add a film to my report that is in pre-production- I want it to only put the Start and Wrap of the film in the report.  If I add a film that is in post, I want it to display not the start and wrap but the Answer print and Release date.  

How would I accomplish this?

Thanks for the support!  

Justin 

• 4. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                philmodjunk

Problem 2 is way too general to give you a specific answer. The standard approach in Filemaker is to perform a find to find only those records you want to include in your report. Not knowing how you've set up your tables, fields and relationships keeps me from being very specific on this.

• 5. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                  whiplash5000

Thank you for the quick responses!

The basic system is this, I'm doing a table of contents page for a list of films using a sub summary report.  

The film could be in four stages of development- Pending, Preproduction, Production, Post Production.  

On the Table of Contents my boss wants Pending to only have the film start date.

If it's Preproduction, he wants Start and Wrap.

Production, he wants Start and Wrap.

Then the problematic one, if in Post, he only wants the Answer Print, Revised Print and Release Date.

I figure I would table it out like this----

Film--Start--Wrap--Answer Print--Revised Print--Release Date

And then do a type of elimination calculation... 

Basically, I need to figure out a calculation that will look into the drop down menu of the stages of development and then based on that field, eliminate the fields it doesn't need.  I assume it will be similar to the answer you gave me for the previous question, but just different enough to confuse a newb like me into a fit of rage.

Thanks for being patient.

Justin 

• 6. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                    philmodjunk

Please describe your records and fields. With the right design this might be no more complicated than performing a find or creating a few calculation fields. I can't tell how you currently mark a record being in a particular stage of development.

"He wants start and wrap" tells me nothing that I can help you with because I don't know what "Start and Wrap" means in terms of your database. I think they are dates. Are these values stored in particular fields? The same field? Related records? or something else?

It may help to outline what you want your report to look like.

If all of these values, "Film--Start--Wrap--Answer Print--Revised Print--Release Date" are dates stored in separate fields and you only want one of them for each record in your report, a case function can be used in a calculation field to select the correct date field based on Film development phase.

• 7. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                      whiplash5000
                         <!--  StartFragment  -->

I've tried your response to the first question and I had a problem.  

1- when I typed your calculation--

If ( Not isempty ( Footage ) ; "Footage" ; "")   // last clause ; "" is optional. 

And then went to preview mode, even when there was a value in the Footage field, it would not show the label.  Did I enter something wrong?  Is there something missing from the calculation that I was supposed to add?

To Answer the other response--

Please describe your records and fields. Are these values stored in particular fields? The same field? Related records? or something else? 

In a separate FORM layout- I have the Start--Wrap--Answer Print--Revised Print--Release Date set up for others to enter the values as DATES or TBD that correspond to these fields.  

Using a separate sub-summary report that I have set up already, it is pulling the values of these fields (DATES) onto my report. 

It may help to outline what you want your report to look like.

I'm trying to match an existing report that is typed by hand on Microsoft Word.  The format is already in place and looks like this.

PENDING

The Flashers Start TBD

PREPRODUCTION

Yogi Meets Scooby Start 11/30/09     Wrap  TBD

PRODUCTION

The Wild One Start 11/30/09     Wrap  TBD

POSTPRODUCTION

Clash of the Ninjas Answer Print 9/04/09 Revised Answer Print  6/09/10 Release Date   8/9/10 

If all of these values, "Film--Start--Wrap--Answer Print--Revised Print--Release Date" are dates stored in separate fields and you only want one of them for each record in your report, a case function can be used in a calculation field to select the correct date field based on Film development phase. 

This seems about right.  How do I achieve this? 

<!--  EndFragment  -->
                      • 8. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                        philmodjunk

I assume you didn't simply copy and paste the example. (I don't know what fields you have in your database.) everything from the // to the right is a comment to you and should not be included in the calculation.

Case ( YourProductionPhaseField = "pending"; "Start:  " & start;

YourProductionPhaseField = "preproduction"; "Start:  " & start & "       wrap: " & wrap;

YourProductionPhaseField = "production"; "Start:  " & start & "       wrap: " & wrap;

YourProductionPhaseField = "postproduction"; "Answer Print: " & AnswerPrint & " Revised Answer Print  " & RevAnswerPrint & " Release Date   " & ReleaseDate )

Keep in mind that I don't know your actual field names, so you'll have to edit the above expression to refer to the actual fields that contain this data.

• 9. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                          whiplash5000

Thanks Phil!

You solved Problem Two, it's working great.  I'm still having problems however with the --

If ( Not isempty ( Footage ) ; "Footage" )  

In browse mode, the calculation will remove the label and fields great but in preview mode, it will remove the label constantly, even it the field has content in it.  How do I resolve this?

Also, I have two other strange questions--

PROBLEM THREE 

I used your case formula but noticed that the I couldn't put any tab breaks in between each section so the start and wrap etc. would be spaced un-evenly, especially if the month has two numbers (10,11,12).  

I decided that the best way to solve this is to break each case formula into parts-- 

Case One

Case ( Production Status = "PENDING"; "Start:  " & Start;

Production Status = "PRE-PRODUCTION"; "Start:  " & Start; 

Production Status = "PRODUCTION"; "Start:  " & Start )

Case Two

Case ( Production Status = "PRE-PRODUCTION";  "Wrap: " & Wrap;

Production Status = "PRODUCTION"; "Wrap: " & Wrap )

Case Three

Case ( Production Status = "POST-PRODUCTION";  "AP: " & Answer Print )

Case Four

Case ( Production Status = "POST-PRODUCTION";  " Rev. AP:  " & Revised Answer Print )

Case Five

Case ( Production Status = "POST-PRODUCTION";  "RD:  " & Release ) 

The place these parts into my layout, so that they are evenly spaced into columns when the report generates in preview mode.

However, in trying to match the format of the other Word document- the  POST-PRODUCTION sections lines of Answer Print, Revised Answer Print and Release Date are supposed to moved over to where the start section is on the other lines.

EXAMPLE

PENDING 

The Flashers         Start: 10/2/09

POST PRODUCTION

Ninja Attack         AP:9/3/09                   REV AP: 10/5/09         RD: 5/5/10

To make a very long story short, is is possible to cover one Field (START) with other Fields ( AP, etc.) and be able to see them when I go into preview mode and ultimately print this out. When I tried to cover the Start with these other sections and then look at preview mode, it eliminated the Start completely.  When I tried to have the sections slide over, it messes up the column format that I set up.

I hope this is a good explanation of the situation. Sorry so in depth...

PROBLEM FOUR- 

When I go to preview mode, it keeps showing me a couple of blank records before showing me a record with information in it.  What am I doing wrong?

Again, thanks gentlewomen and men for your help.  The newb is very grateful. 

• 10. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                            philmodjunk

Item 1, you should get identical results in browse and preview. Since you don't, I'd check to see if this field is a pixel or two too high and has thus crossed the line into the Header part. If even one pixel of the field is part of the header, then the entire field is treated as though it is part of the header. In preview mode, you'd then see the value of the first record in every case. Try nudging the field down until you can clearly see some white space between it and the part border. Once you've got it displaying the right value, you can nudge it back up with your arrow keys one pixel at a time to figure out how close to the line you can get without seeing this issue.

Can you stack fields on top of each other in a layout? You can if you've set the field's fill properties to be transparent. Since this is a report with sliding selected, it may be easier to work with the layout if you simply place the fields one above each other with out over lap and set them to slide.

• 12. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                              whiplash5000

Hey there-

Another issue has popped up-

On my table of contents page- I need to set up a calculation that will notice if there isn't a date in the 'Start' field that it will look at the 'Tentative Start' field and replace it with that section- and include the label "tentative start'...

I tried tackling this problem myself by adapting my existing formula to look like this... 

Case ( Production Status = "PENDING"; "Start:  " & Start;

If ( ISEmpty ( Start ) ); (Tentative Start) 

But that didn't work out...  

How do I make this one work?

Thanks again! 

• 13. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                                philmodjunk

I think you want this:

Case ( ISEmpty ( Start ) ; "Start:  " & Tentative Start ;

Production Status = "PENDING"; "Start:  " & Start;

• 14. Re: Hide Fields in Reports/ Conditional Field showing...
                                  whiplash5000

I'm still having problems however with the --

If ( Not isempty ( Footage ) ; "Footage" )  

In browse mode, the calculation will remove the label and fields great but in preview mode, it will remove the label constantly, even it the field has content in it.  How do I resolve this?

1 2 Previous Next