4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 10:52 AM by philmodjunk

Hide, make transparent, or cover fields when layout opens

boydcrow

Title

Hide, make transparent, or cover fields when layout opens

I have several search layouts. Rather than the fields showing the last record accessed when the layout is open, I would prefer either,

a) the fields be empty until the search field is filled in

b) the fields be hidden or obscured by a rectangle which could be made transparent

I don't know how to change the properties of an object via script.  I don't know how to make objects transparent by manual means.  Searches in text and on the forum don't say much about how to implement transparency.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Hide, make transparent, or cover fields when layout opens
          philmodjunk

It would help to describe the design of your database in greater detail.

What kind of search fields and how are you using them?

Usually, these are global fields and a script uses the data in the global field to construct find requests and then performs the find. Is this what you are doing? (I don't think so...)

In a networked environment, if such global fields are empty when the file is uploaded to the server, they will automatically be empty each time you open the file from a client as global fields do not retain changes made to them by a client session.

I would be very careful about using actual data fields for searching data. You don't want a user accidentally modifying data while in browse mode when they were supposed to by in find mode.

If you do use that approach, you can script the process so that selecting such a search layout automatically switches the user to find mode and this will display the fields as empty...

You can also use the behavior settings to prevent access to the fields while in browse mode. The users can still enter critieria while in find mode but can't access the field contents when in browse...

• 2. Re: Hide, make transparent, or cover fields when layout opens
            boydcrow

Unfortunately, Find mode disables my drop-down menus.  I'm closing this question because it is obviously too complicated.

• 3. Re: Hide, make transparent, or cover fields when layout opens
              boydcrow

I have discovered a way to get most of what I want.

When I open my computer lookup form, I set a script trigger which OnLayoutOpen runs one command New Record/Request.

When my form opens, all the fields are blank except the drop-down menu box which holds the value of the previous entry.

When I click on the Computer name field, it opens the drop-down menu.  When I click on the desired item, a script is set to run OnObjectModify which runs one command (before other useful commands in the same script):  Revert Record/Request (No dialog).

This "undoes" the new record but still lets me use the field information for a find operation which takes me to the desired record.

There are two advantages to this method. a) I get the blank fields instead of confusing existing entries (for all fields except the drop-down menu field) and b) I can still edit the found record's fields when they are displayed.

• 4. Re: Hide, make transparent, or cover fields when layout opens
                philmodjunk

This "undoes" the new record but still lets me use the field information for a find operation which takes me to the desired record.

What kind of find operation are you doing? Is this find operation a script?

This seems needlessly complex and can easily leave you with extra blank records in your table.

I suggest using global fields for entering criteria and then use a script to perform the find. When the script performs its find, it can change layouts to display the results of your find. This allows yous to to set up a layout specifically designed for sepecifying search criteria and another layout for data entry. One of the advantages to this approach is that you can design your search layout with different field formats better suited for your data searches, including fields to control different types of searches such as finding records that match criteria in field 1 OR criteria in field 2 in addition to finding records that match criteria in field 1 AND criteria in field 2.