2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 2:01 AM by ThomasBezants

Hiding a Record based on a drop down menu entry

ThomasBezants

Title

Hiding a Record based on a drop down menu entry

Hi there,

I have a dorp down box in my database that is either set to Open or closed.

At the minute when closed is set the record is still visable, is there a way of hiding that record when closed is selected?

Also, is there a way of having it to automatically set to Open when a new record is created as at the minute I have to choose open on each new record I create

Thanks a lot

Tom

• 1. Re: Hiding a Record based on a drop down menu entry
          philmodjunk

If you use a script trigger on your drop down box, it can perform a script like this:

If [Yourtable::DropDownBoxField = "Closed"]
             Omit Record
          End If

This is just temporary. Any find or Show All Records action will bring it back into the found set. You may want to use Manage | Security to set up record level access to better keep "closed" records hidden. See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

You can use auto-enter options on your field to auto enter "Open" into this field each time a new record is created. The data box in field options is all you need to use for this.

• 2. Re: Hiding a Record based on a drop down menu entry
            ThomasBezants

Thanks a lot, that works great