2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2013 10:23 AM by JonathonKlassen

Hiding button from highlighting in Hover

JonathonKlassen

Title

Hiding button from highlighting in Hover

Hello Filemaker friends,

I have a question about hiding a button and having it not highlight in Hover mode when hidden (Deactivated). 

I have 3 layers of buttons in a roof shingle like setup, when you choose the bottom button it highlights the whole column (which is what i want). I have done this by making the button images the background and the buttons themselves Invisible in "Normal State" and highlighted when hovered over.  But sometimes the bottom layers need to be visually obvious that they cant be clicked, even when hovered over.

The simple strategy of putting a conditional formatting object in front doesnt work for this circumstance. The Portal trick doesn't work because the columns of buttons highlight a common bar on the top.

Because my buttons overlap in a roof shingle manner you can only press the Longest button (lowest button) at the lowest point (while still highlighting the whole column). So i only need to block the button out where it can be pressed.

I know this is a little confusing, if you need pics to demonstrate what i mean then ill post some.

Thank you :)

• 1. Re: Hiding button from highlighting in Hover
          philmodjunk

What exactly is a "roof shingle like setup"? I think I can picture it, but would hate to be wrong.

You may have to place multiple copies of your buttons with different appearance settings inside different panels of an invisible tab control. A script can then select different panels of this tab control to control the "hover" results that you get.

• 2. Re: Hiding button from highlighting in Hover
            JonathonKlassen

That sounds like it might work, I never thought of a invisible tab control. Though It might consume a lot memory since this button schematic is on every layout of the program. thank you for the response.

the shingles buttons ;

-"Sales" is the Category 

-second row is subcategories Lists - highlights itself and "Sales"

-third row is related records of current selected record - highlights Button directly above and the common  highlight "Sales".

When a related record is not available the button at the bottom doesnt highlight or show text, but since the button is still active it will highlight everything above it still. This could be easily solved if they didnt mind having "Sales" left unhighlighted.