10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 9:45 AM by jorgeseptien

Hiding Fields

Mary78

Title

Hiding Fields

Hi,

I have created a database that will be accessed by a few departments within the organisation. I have created a group who will only have read only access to the file. However, there are a couple of fields pertaining to confidential client details that I do not want this group to see. How can I hide particular fields from this group??

I would appreciate any help.

Mary78 

• 1. Re: Hiding Fields
          mrvodka
             First you should use Field Level Access to limit them from seeing the data. Second, you could use a second layout that does have those fields on it as the default and only when one has rights to the fields does it go to the other layout. You can script this with a button that brings one to that type of layout and even use script triggers if you wish.
          • 2. Re: Hiding Fields
            Mary78

Hi there,

THanks for this. However I can't seem to find Field Level Access in any of the menus. How to I apply it to particular fields?

Mary78

• 3. Re: Hiding Fields
              kapitaen_1

Hi Mary,

there...

Feld Sichtbar / Unsichtbar

you can find an example that shows how to hide or show single (or mutiple) fields in a layout.

If you like the example, make a donation to a welfare organisatiin of your choice, ane make a proof entry in my database.

greetings from germany

Chris

• 4. Re: Hiding Fields
                Mary78

Hi there,

THanks for this. I looks like it might do the trick from what I can see. However, my German is non-existent. Is there an English translation?

THanks

Mary78

• 5. Re: Hiding Fields
                  kapitaen_1

until now, there is no english translation ;-(

so i will give you some quick-n-dirty translation in the fast...

give the tabs an object name, so you can select them with the goto object script step.

the tab name (different from the corresponding object name) must be empty. and give the tabs a width of 0 (zero).

atr last make the border width zero and the tabs area transparent (or same color as background).

done.

greetings from germany

chris

• 6. Re: Hiding Fields
                    philmodjunk
                       Field level access means entering Accounts and Privileges and using custom privilege settings to control which privilege sets can view and/or edit a given field.
                    • 7. Re: Hiding Fields
                      Mary78

Hi there,

Many thanks for this. Not easy to find but eventually figured it out!

Mary78.

• 8. Re: Hiding Fields
                        jorgeseptien

Hi,

I am having a heck of a time with this.  I have a similar desire.  I have a database with information and there is one field that I want only certain people to see when they log in via the web.  I just created a new priveledge set with view access to all fields except for one.  The only way I saw to do this was to corrolate a field with a value list, but I left that value list blank.  I then gave no access for the one value list.  However, the field is still viewable.  How do I hide it from a particular user who logs in?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jorge Septien

• 9. Re: Hiding Fields
                          philmodjunk

Look up "Editing Record Access Privileges" in the Filemaker help system and pay close attention to the "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" section.

• 10. Re: Hiding Fields
                            jorgeseptien

Thanks for the quick reply.  Actually I did it another way.  I created a second layout by copying my current layout which all the layouts.  I then created a new privilege group that only had access to the new layout.  I went into the layout as an administrator and deleted the field that was on the original layout.  So nowe, as administrator, I can see both versions of the data in two different layouts, but the person with restricted access can only see the new one which did not show the field I wanted to hide.  Sometimes I need to look around and be patient to get what I want.  Thanks for helping though.  I wrote this hoping to help someone else.  I think I will also prevent this user from viewing the table format as well.