You mean that with 5 portal records, you have 5 additional empty rows showing? In Browse mode, this is pretty much the nature of the beast. In preview mode or when you print or save as PDF, you can make the unused rows disappear by setting the portal to slide up. But it's generally better to print or save as PDF from a list view layout based on the portal's table instead of using a layout with a portal if that is at all possible.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
- In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
My portal was set to 10 rows, Im using it into my dash board to display the products that will be expiring next month,my problem is if I only 5 or 6 products that will be expiring next month, the portal is having a 5 or 4 blank rows at the bottom, I want to eliminate the lines.
And that will not be possible with that layout design.
But note the screen shot that I've uploaded here. Note that by using fields with contrasting fill colors, it's very clear that there are only a 2 records in each portal. If I cleared the "allow creation of records via this relationship option", the bottom blank row would also disappear.
if you are using portal to create records and not just display some related history then nstead of creating portal row via relationship, use script and you will get rid of that empty row..
here is the script I am using to disappear that blank row problem..
Add line Items To Order
Set Variable [ $Serial Number ; Value:Orders::Orders_Id ]
Go to Layout [ “Orders_LineItems” (Orders_LineItems) ]
Set Field [ Orders_LineItems::Orders_Id_Fk ; $Serial Number ]
Go to Portal Row
[ Select; Next ]
Go to Layout [ original layout ]
hope this will help you..