3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2014 1:41 PM by philmodjunk

Hiding repeating fields until they are needed

episking

Title

Hiding repeating fields until they are needed

Is there a way to make filemaker create a new field directly underneath the previous field after the previous field is not empty?  Essentially, I'd like it to function like the attached screenshot from our current paper form into the digital form, but without all the empty space.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance

A Filemaker Newb
           -EP

Untitled.png

• 1. Re: Hiding repeating fields until they are needed
          philmodjunk

Make that new field a new record in a related table and this becomes pretty simple to do.

With repeating fields, you cannot dynamically add new repetitions nor can you define rows of fields in the same field and dynamically add more of the same fields.

Best you can do with repeating fields is to specify a large number of repetitions in Manage | Database. Specify a large number of repeating fields on your layout and then set them to "slide up" and "resize enclosing part" to remove the unused repetitions when printing, previewing or saving as PDF.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          15.           In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
          • 2. Re: Hiding repeating fields until they are needed
            episking

Ok, I'll create a related table.  How would I make these auto-generate as new fields are needed?

Thank you for your response!

-EP

• 3. Re: Hiding repeating fields until they are needed
              philmodjunk

No "new fields" will be needed. You'll be adding new records and probably using a portal to do so as that is (99% of the time) the most common design option used.

Right now, you appear to have a table named Projects. Add a new table named ProjectDetails and link them in the following relationship:

Projects-----<ProjectDetails

Projects::__pkProjectID = ProjectDetails::_fkProjectID

You can double click the relationship line and select "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for the ProjectDetails side of this relationship.

Basic Job Steps, Potential Hazards, and Precautions would be three tables you'd define as nonRepeating fields in the ProjectDetails table.

Then you can modify the layout shown to replace your repeating fields with a portal to ProjectDetails. With the "allow creation..." option enabled as I described, you'll see what appears to be a blank row in the portal just below the last row that shows data. If you enter data into the fields of this "add row", FileMaker will automatically create a related record in ProjectDetails for you.

If you equip this portal with a scroll bar, you can created as many ProjectDetails records as you need as the number of related records that you can create is now fully flexible. And there are ways to print out this info that will not be limited by the number of rows that you select for your portal.

If you have never created a portal before, I recommend that you look up "portal" in FileMaker Help and in any training materials that you have before you set out to do this.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained