3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 4:52 PM by etd001

Hierarchy with one to many relationships..

etd001

Title

Hierarchy with one to many relationships..

Hi, I'm fairly new to file maker and have been trying to do the following.

table1       table2      table3

pkt1  ---< fkt1

pkt2 ---<fkt2

Table 1 has a layout with 2 tabs, a table 1 tab and a table 2 tab.

table 1 tab has a portal that allows multiple entries into table 2 that are related to table 1.

tab 2 has a combo box for making a selection from table 2 so i can create a portal for table 3 and enter multiple entries in table 3 that is related to table 2.

However whenever I select a record from the combo box on tab 2, it overwrites the field in the first record in table 2 with the data I select.

My goal is to make a selection with the combo box that is populated with the record from table 2 and populate table 3 with the primary key from table 2 and the new data I add through the portal on tab 2.

Hope I explained it clear enough. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Hierarchy with one to many relationships..
          davidanders

Table 1 has records with a unique ID key
             Table1 Tab1 contains a portal that allows records to be created in Table2
          The fields in Table1 and Table2 are unique and are not auto entered or calculations based on the other Table

Table1 Tab2 has a "Combo Box" ??? Drop Down? Checkbox? "so I can create a portal for Table3"??? new record? with fkt2? ...

You can take scrieen captures and post them nere

If you are on OSX - Command+Shift+4 (and click spacebar to take a window shot)
          If you are on Win - MWSnap is a free download and gives similar capabilities.
          Assumption is FMP ver11, but you do not specify.

Please Help Us to Help You...   Please Help Us to Help You...

• 2. Re: Hierarchy with one to many relationships..
            philmodjunk

Table 1 has a layout with 2 tabs, a table 1 tab and a table 2 tab

Keep in mind that both tabs are based on table 1. You cannot base the individual tab panels on different tables. Any references to fields in Table 2 will be controlled by the relationship between Table 1 and Table 2. Many FileMaker systems create the illusion of tab panels based on different tables but they often are actually buttons that take you to different layouts, each based on a different table.

• 3. Re: Hierarchy with one to many relationships..
              etd001

Thanks, that explains things. Both tabs are built off table one.