3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2011 2:07 PM by philmodjunk

Highlight duplicate records

ShuqianZhang

Title

Highlight duplicate records

Hello,

I would like to find a way to highlight the duplicated records so that it is easy for me to see them and go over them before delete those records. Becuase  the database I am working on has over 50,000 records.

Can someone give me some help on it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shuqian

• 1. Re: Highlight duplicate records
          philmodjunk

If duplicate records can be identified by a duplicate value in a specific field, you can perform a find and put the ! operator in that field. Then sort the found set produced by this find to put the duplicate values next to each other. This will work as long as the field where you put the ! is not a text field with return characters in it.

• 2. Re: Highlight duplicate records
            ShuqianZhang

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have two fields: Name and Address need to be identified. Should I put the ! operator in both Name and Address fields? It's been a long time since I use FileMaker last. I am not familiar with the newer version of Filemaker 11. I will figure it out if they are text fields or not.

Thanks again. I appreicate your help.

Shuqian

• 3. Re: Highlight duplicate records
              philmodjunk

I would assume that it is name and address combined that identifies which records are duplicate. If so, define a calculation field that combines the two fields with an expression like this:

Name & " " & Address

Then put this field on your layout and use ! in it in a find followed by a sort.