3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 9:09 AM by philmodjunk

Hinding one instance of a field in a layout

manager12

Title

Hinding one instance of a field in a layout

I've created a contact sheet in a report layout in filemaker that displays "Name" "Phone" and "Email" in a row. It takes everyone entered in my database and displays their info alphabetized by name. There is one person who we would like to only list their name and hide their "Phone" and "Email" only on this layout. We need to keep their Phone and Email fields filled in for use in other layouts in the database. How do I hide only this person's Phone and Email on this report?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Hinding one instance of a field in a layout
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

With FileMaker 13, you can set up a "Hide Object When" property that hides the entire phone and email fields for just the records where you specify this option by setting a value in a field.

In older versions, you can use conditional formatting to hide the contents of the fields, or you can use a number of other methods--invisible tab controls, or a portal.... to conditionally hide the entire fields--though these methods have limitations if you are listing this data in a portal.

• 2. Re: Hinding one instance of a field in a layout
            manager12

Thanks Phil for your fast response! I did conditional formatting and said when the "Phone" = this persons number then the text color is white. It worked!

Is there a way in Filemaker 12 to tell it not to display the Phone and Email associated with that person's name rather than "hard coding" it to a specific phone number and email address? For example if this person changes their phone number I'll have to re-do the conditional formatting.

• 3. Re: Hinding one instance of a field in a layout
              philmodjunk

You can set the conditional format expression to be:

NameField = "John Smith"

if you select the "formula" option for your conditional format.

But I'd suggest that you set up a number field, I'll call it "hidefield" and use this expression:

HideField

Then format the field on a layout somewhere with 0 or 1 radio buttons. For any given record where you want this data to not be visible, select the radio button for 1 and the field contents are not visible.

But note that if you click into this field, the hidden data still becomes visible. This is also true if you hide the field contents by specifying a very large font size.

So this may not be a sufficiently effective way to hide this data from users.