1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 11:30 AM by philmodjunk

historic date question

JamesBind

Title

historic date question

I need to enter historic date and run historic reports, easiest to reset date on the computer to last year. Doing so, a couple of times FileMaker Pro crashed after it opened all the files. Naturally I gone to a backup. My question is, if I will keep turning the date back and forth, can FileMaker Pro files get damaged in a hidden way that I will not notice immediately but say in a few weeks or a few months? I don’t want to redo a few month work. Any advise is highly appreciated, thanks! I am using Windows XP, FileMaker Pro 11

• 1. Re: historic date question
          philmodjunk

I don't recommend changing the system date like this. Modify your design so that you can specify a date and then a script uses the date you've specified to pull up your report.

While I've never got a crash from doing so, the system clock is used in a lot of different areas so a change in it's data can affect many areas of your computer and many different applications. I've found, for example, when doing a quick test of a feature in Filemaker where I needed to confirm that a FileMaker feature was working correctly, that this forum will kick you out if you have a past date set in your system clock.

Have you used recover to check your file for issues? Reverting to a back up after a crash is good practice as it avoids issues created by the crash, but if you already have some hidden file damage that is causing your crash, it will still be with you and running a recover on the file may reveal such an issue.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.