3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 3:32 PM by philmodjunk

Hosting Database on network

AlexGodines

Title

Hosting Database on network

My Question is can i host a database on network where i can have 2 or more people have access to the file at the same time. if possible how so? or do i need a server to be able to do that.

• 1. Re: Hosting Database on network
          philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro can host up to 9 users who also have FileMaker Pro installed on their computers. You open the file with filemaker on the host computer and then use Open Remote... from the file menu to connect to it from the other machines.

Each machine needs a separate installation of FileMaker, they can't have the same install code.

• 2. Re: Hosting Database on network
            AlexGodines

New question. this is more of acount security. is there any way to setup acounts to see certain amount of records like marketing i got 2 employes working in marketing. but i want employee A to see contacts name starting from A-C and Marketer B Gets to see Names from D-F and only those. how can i set this up.

• 3. Re: Hosting Database on network
              philmodjunk

Much depends on how you've set up your tables of data, but see "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.