3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 2:32 PM by TSGal

Householding records

skfuller

Title

Householding records

I use the program to manage campaigns- we get each persons record individually but since we are sending them mail etc., we would like to combine records so that each household only receives one piece of mail.  Can I do that in a report form so that I can keep individuals records individual?

• 1. Re: Householding records
          TSGal

skfuller:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can keep individuals separate from mailing campaigns, and you can also see what campaigns have been mailed to these customers.

The trick is to link the campaigns to the customers.  You need some sort of key field (CustID?).

If you haven't done so already, create a separate Customer table that contains name, address, city, email, etc., and then create a Campaign table that contains, campaign name, Date, CustID (or key field), etc.

While in "Manage -> Database", click on the Relationships tab and you should see your two tables.  Click on the key field in one table and drag it over to the key field in the other table.  When you let go, the link will be set with the key field being listed at the top of each table.

Now, when you import your campaign information into the Campaign table, the "key" field should link up with the customer table.

In the customer table, you can create a portal so you can view your entries in the Campaign table.  To do this, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  Go to the layout that has your Customer information.  On the left side of the screen, click on the icon just below the oval icon.  This is the portal tool and it allows you to draw and see information from a related table.  Click on an area on your layout and drag it diagonally until you are satisfied with the size and let go.  You can now specify to see information from Campaign, and then select the fields you want displayed.  Probably the Campaign name and date.  When finished, return to Browse mode, and you should see all campaigns assigned to each customer.

If you run into any difficulty, or need clarification for any of the above steps, please feel free to contact me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Householding records
            skfuller
               Will this allow me to take two different contacts and create a mailing list where all the contacts who live at the same address only receive one piece of mail with all their names on it?
            • 3. Re: Householding records
              TSGal

skfuller:

That depends on the key field.  You may want to consider using the address as the key instead of the name or ID field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.