1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 1, 2014 5:43 PM by TKnTexas

How are FMP Adv, FMP Server, FMGO, Instant Web Publishing related

jfeeney123321

Title

How are FMP Adv, FMP Server, FMGO, Instant Web Publishing related

I'm using FMP-12 Advanced to develop my application. I just purchased an iPad and FM Go to try out my application and I have been trying to review the FMP Server requirements in order to spec out and purchase a server. Now in walks FMP-13 with Web Publishing capabilities ..... and no training out yet. I'm having trouble grasping the roll of each component ( FMP-Adv, FMP Go, FMP-Server, Instant Web Publishing etc. to implement my application on a website (my own or a hosted web site). In the past FMP has be very good at little video clips showing how FMP Adv > FMP Server > FM GO > the iPad all rolled out but right now I don't understand it and I am very reluctant to purchase a server (low end as it may be) and FMP Server without better understanding how or what roll each plays . . . off hand it seems that if I go the FMP-13 Server rout , I don't need the iPad or FM-Go anymore .... but I don't know. Hoping for a little blurb out that that explains it ..... and don't say that it is already out there today 1/1/14 because I can't agree. But thanks for any suggestions you can make. Jack

• 1. Re: How are FMP Adv, FMP Server, FMGO, Instant Web Publishing related
          TKnTexas

I will share my understanding.  While ver12 and ver13 share the basic file format of *.fmp12 there are functional differences.

FMPro12 could host Instant Web Publishing from a regular version.  As well as for hosting FMGo for an iPad user.  Doing this might work for a business that has low demands on the database access.  The number of concurrent users accessing was low, then the FMPro Server 12 had to be used.

FMPro13 has moved to Web Direct to replace Instant Web Publishing.  This can only be hosted from FMPro Server13.  The benefit is that more than the Classic layout them can be used now. 

There are now different methods to have the software, different options.