2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2012 4:54 AM by med

How are network users counted

med

Title

How are network users counted

I know the limit for fm11 is 9 clients and one host. But I need to clarify the following.

1- does host mean just a computer to host the database or can somebody work on it simultaneously with the other 9 users.

2- The application I developed is split into mors than one section for instance the main daily finctions, the houskeeping functions and the reporting which are all layouts and scripts but interface with one database that contains all the data tables. Suppose one useer opens two sections at the same time on one computer (of course using one instance of fm) will that count as two users or one. 

• 1. Re: How are network users counted
          davidanders

1. Someone can work on the database on the hosting computer. Purists would recommend against it, but Filemaker allows it.

2. One Filemaker copy on one computer opening a database or mulitple databases counts as one user. to the hosting Filemaker application.
              If you have two copies of filemaker on a computer (FMP ver 8 and FMP ver 11) and they both open a hosted database they are two users.

If the same copy of Filemaker is on two computers, the second one will refuse to open until the first is closed or computer disconnected from the network.

• 2. Re: How are network users counted
            med

Thank you that clears my concern.