2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 7:05 PM by pugmum

How can I calculate a sum of a field depending on what the content of that field is

pugmum

Title

How can I calculate a sum of a field depending on what the content of that field is

Here is an example of what I'm looking for. Let's say I have a database keeping track of expenses by category.

Fields and their respective examples would be:
      "Item Description" e.g. shirt, garbage bin, movie tickets, etc.

"Item Category" e.g. clothing, household, entertainment, etc.

"Item Amount" e.g. $55, $15, $30

I know how to find my grand total of amount spent on everything, but what I want to do is find subtotals depending on what I've selected in the pulldown menu for "Item Category". So, along the header of every page, I want to be able to see right away how much was spent on clothing, how much on household, how much on entertainment, etc. I can do it by sorting using a sub summary by the field Item category but that's not what I want... I have to scroll to the bottom of each section to see it when I accumulate a lot of data. Plus, I have to make sure my database is sorted by this category. I want to see those totals up at the top of my document all the time. Does this make sense?

If you can help, kindly provide details (i.e. formulas) as I'm not terribly experienced with FMP)

Many Thanks :-)