AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I combine data from 3 fields into a lookup list for a different field, etc.

Question asked by BradSand on Jan 14, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 by BradSand

Title

How can I combine data from 3 fields into a lookup list for a different field, etc.

Ok, so here's what I am trying to do:

I have a layout where I input shipping box sizes into 3 separate fields (length, width, and height) and then I input the box cost in another field, and have another field which calculates the total box cost, including tax.  This way, I have the size of the shipping box associated with it's unit cost and have the ability to search the boxes by any of the dimensions.

So, what I am trying to do is - in another layout (call it "sales" layout), have one field with a drop down list of the combined box dimensions (length x width x height) so that when I select the appropriate size box for the product I am shipping, I can have the box cost field auto populate, in order to include those costs in my shipping costs for that item.

example

"shipping supplies" layout has 3 box fields showing 12 x 12 x 6

1 "box cost field" showing $1.25 (cost of a 12 x 12 x 6 box)

Then when I go to the other layout, I want to be able to have a drop down list of all my in-stock shipping boxes, in 1 field, so I can select the appropriate box and have the "box cost field" populate automatically.

selecting 12 x 12 x 6  ... would populate $1.25 in the "box cost" field

selecting 12 x 15 x 6  ... would populate $1.50 in the "box cost" field

selecting 15 x 15 10  ...would populate $1.75 in the "box cost" field

etc....

I'm not sure if I am over-thinking this, or if there is a better way to do it.  I am a novice with filemaker, so any direction is appreciated.

Outcomes