3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 11:25 AM by philmodjunk

How can I create a List View of the same table in Standard Layout.

ChrisBarbieri

Title

How can I create a List View of the same table in Standard Layout.

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a list view portal of with all the records of a contacts table in standard layout.  I want to see a list of all my contacts on one layout and then have details of the contact highlighted in the list view portal.   The table for both the standard layout and the list view is Contacts.   I tried setting up a portal with a Contacts2 table created in the database relationship section but the portal only shows the current record in the standard layout.  I don't know if there is a work around for having both views in one layout.  I have attached a layout image of what I'm trying to do.  If anyone can help I would be appreciative. 

Thanks,

Chris

Help with Filemaker

• 1. Re: How can I create a List View of the same table in Standard Layout.
          philmodjunk

Start with this relationship for your portal:

Contacts::anyfield x Contacts 2::anyfield

the x operator will match any record in Contacts to all records in contacts 2.

Then you can set up your row of portal fields as a button that performs a script that uses either Go To Related Records or performs a find on Contacts to pull up the record in your found set that you want to show in the detail box.

Conditional formatting can change the fill color of your portal row of fields to show which contact is selected for the detail view.

Note: to preserve your portal's scroll bar position, you may need to use related fields for the detail view table and your script would then update a key field in your layout's table (which no longer need be based on contacts), to link to and display that detail record with out switching to a different record in contacts (which keeps the scroll bar from snapping back up to the top.)

• 2. Re: How can I create a List View of the same table in Standard Layout.
            ChrisBarbieri

Awesome works great i appreciate the tips, could I use a global field for the detailed fields that are updated anytime a new record is selected?

• 3. Re: How can I create a List View of the same table in Standard Layout.
              philmodjunk

I'd use a global field for the relationship on which the detail view fields are based. That moves less data here and allows the user to edit the detail view fields directly--which wouldn't work well if you copied the data into the globla field.

In other words, you'd define an auto-entered serial number in your contacts table if you don't already have one, then set up this relationship:

LayoutTable::GlobalIDField = DetailView::ContactIDField

Your script that performs when a portal row is clicked would look like this:

Set Field [LayoutTable::GlobalIDField ; PortalTableOccurrence::ContactIDField ]

Then your conditional format expression to highlight the portal fields might be:

LayoutTable::GlobalIDField = PortalTableOccurrence::ContactIDField