7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2010 3:56 PM by carolynhaywood

How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?

carolynhaywood

Title

How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?

I have a client table with a portal showing all the jobs (and job invoice numbers) from that client.  I want to see all the invoice numbers from each job.  Right now, it is just showing me the first invoice number associated with the job.

Additionally, I want to create new time records  on a portal that show the new invoice from the job, not the original one.

I am able to create multiple invoices for each job but I can't figure out how to display this info in other places.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Carolyn Haywood

FMP 10 MAC 10.6.2

• 1. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
          MSpsi

How many tables do you have?  What are their names and how are they related?

• 2. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
            carolynhaywood

I have a client table related to a Job Information table by clientID.  The invoice table is related to the job information table by JobID.  The Billable time table is related to the job information table by jobiD.  It's in a portal(job information)  showing a field 'invoice number' from invoices table which shows up every time a new  billable record is added.    It only picks up the first invoice number of the job.  As well, I have a portal showing the client and all jobs and related invoice numbers - however, again, only the first invoice number is picked up.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
              MSpsi

Ok as I sketch it out I think i see the problem.  Portals only draw information from their IMMEDIATELY adjacent tables in the relationship graph.  If I have graphed your relationships right, I see it looking like this:

If so, the portal cannot pull all information from the invoices table because, even though it is related it is two tables away.  To fix this, either move the portal to a layout with the Job Information as its table (with fields from Client and Invoices and/or Billable as required) or make duplicate Table Graph Occurrences in your Table Graph for Invoice Table and Billable Table linked to the Client table vis JOB INFORMATION 

Does that help?

Marcus

• 4. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
                carolynhaywood

I can't see the images so I am not sure if I am understanding you completely.  I made duplicate tables of billable time and invoices and related them to client in via jobid but what I got was a repeating list of the first entry of billable time.  

The layout invoices is  based on info from the jobinformation table.  I can see the new invoice in the invoice portal.

I put Billable Time on a layout based on Jobinfo but I am still getting the closed invoice number, however it did not give me the repeating field that I experienced when it was on a different layout.

Thanks for your help - I'll keep playing.

• 5. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
                  carrolljd

Usually if you are seeing one record repeated in a portal, it means you are using a different relationship for the field than you are for the portal.  This usually happens when you cut and paste a field.  Trying inserting a new field and make sure you use the same relationship for the field as you do with the portal.

Just my experience.

• 6. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
                    carolynhaywood

Thank you, Jane.  I realized that I had not changed the portal to reflect the duplicate billable time.  Now with the duplicate table for billable time connected to client via jobid, I can't create a new record in billable time.  When I use the script debugger I watch the steps - it gets to the field and nothing gets put in.  Boy Howdy!  This is a lot more complex than it seems!

Carolyn Haywood

FMP 10 Advanced - Mac 10.6.2

• 7. Re: How can I display multiple invoices numbers on a single job?
                      carolynhaywood

I DID IT!!!

I changed the field kp invoice number (from invoices) to kf invoiceid from billable time.

In the add new time script, I copied the job id number, did a find based on that, made a loop that looped through all the records until it came to an open one.  Then I had it copy that invoice number and paste it into the billable kf invoice id field.

My only problem is that my cursor goes to the first portal row instead of the last as I have instructed it to do.  Any ideas as to why?