This is not possible in browse mode. In preview mode or when printing/saving as PDF, you can set the field to slide up and to resize enclosing part. This will cause the field to shrink to fit the data in the field. It will not expand, however, so it is often necessary to make the field oversized to make sure no text is cut off.
In Browse mode, your best option is to enable the scroll bar option for your field.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
If you have the possibility of a lot of characters in a field, then the following probably isn't as useful.
In Browse Mode, if it is available, you can use conditional formatting based on the amount of characters in a field, then you would change the font size.
Ex. Length ( Self ) > 10 //Then change it to font size 8
But if you don't want to change the font size, then that would not work.