5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2011 2:32 AM by tulipman

How can I import a relational DB from another application while keeping each record relational...

Title

How can I import a relational DB from another application while keeping each record relational links?

I need to export a related dataset from a legacy database application (in my case Omnis3). I have to import this data - intact - into Filemaker. Does anyone know how this can be setup in Filemaker. I mean how can I make Filemaker retain (or re-create) the links within its related structure?

I need to import the old data into FilemakerProAdvanced(11) with all relational links of the legacy app intact.

The structure of the dataset is three files - one record (File A) - to many records (File B) - to many records (File C) like this:

File A (Names and addresses) - File B (Sales orders) - File C (multi units per sales order)

The data from the legacy app can be exported - key coded - something like this:

A. CustRef###

B. CustRef###SalesOrder###

C. CustRef###SalesOrder###Units###

I thought that should provide a foolproof structure for the links between the data in the three files.