3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2010 7:00 AM by jimbrownle

How can I join fields in a database?

Wallis

Title

How can I join fields in a database?

I'm setting up a database in Filemaker 10  for our Vintage Car Racing Club.

We have to make sure that cars of the same age group don't have the same race number - it drives the timekeepers crazy.

Now many guys have more than 1 car, so the database has Car 1 Type, Car 1 Number, Car 2 Type, Car 2 Number, Car 3 Type, Car 3 number. This means that I have to manually search through all 3 Car number fields to make sure that a number isn't duplicated.

Is there some way of combining the Car Number Fields into a single field so that its easy to work out if we have any duplications? 

Walt 

• 1. Re: How can I join fields in a database?
          kapitaen_1

either make a calculated field, sumofallnumbers, = number1 & " " & number2 & " " & number3

or make a calculated field, sumofallnumbers, = list (number1; number2; number3)

greetings from gemany

chris

• 2. Re: How can I join fields in a database?
            comment_1

Wallis wrote:

many guys have more than 1 car, so the database has Car 1 Type, Car 1 Number, Car 2 Type, Car 2 Number, Car 3 Type, Car 3 number.

The best way to handle this is to have two separate tables for Members and Cars, related by MemberID.

• 3. Re: How can I join fields in a database?
              jimbrownle

Walt,

I agree with the calculation to create names that won't be duplicates, but Filemaker also has a fast way to search for duplicates:

To find duplicates, you enter the find model, and enter an exclamation point "!" in the field you want to check for duplicate values.  This will return any duplicate values, and you can modifiy the names as needed.

You could use this in conjuction with your field, or just use it to check names on an exception basis.

Another option is to use the data validation to make sure the value is unique.  When defining the field, click the <options> button, go to the <navigation> tab, and there is a check box there for "require unique value".  That may help you eliminate the duplicates when you are entering the data.

Have fun with the races!