8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 10:27 AM by akarelias

How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?

akarelias

Title

How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?

I am using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10 for the Mac.

I have created a database for my photo collection. Each record has multiple fields and one of the fields is a container which holds a photo.  What I am unable to achieve is to have a layout that shows all the photos in a table format (like they are shown in stock photo agencies).

Using the List view is not practical because I have more than 400 images and I have to scroll up and down all he time to find an image, whereas with the table format that I describe above, i will be able to see multiple images (let's say 10 images across x as many rows as needed).  

The following image shows how I would like the layout to look like.  

I would appreciate any help that someone might give me with instructions on how I can achieve the above. Thank you very much in advance.

regards - Andreas 

• 1. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
          comment_1

You can't use Table view for this, because in Table view each row is one record - same as in List view.

You can use a portal - or rather 10 instances of the same portal, each starting with a different row (1, 6, 11, etc. ).

• 2. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
            etripoli
               Other than comment's suggestion, you could create a layout viewable in Preview mode, using the multiple columns print setting, which has the side-effect of limiting your interaction with it.
            • 3. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
              akarelias

Thanks a lot, but I must say that I am not that knowledganble of portals. Do I need to create a second database and link it with the photo database in order to use such a portal? I tried to create a new layout out of the existing photo database and add a portal to it, but the portal discussion box does not allow me to do anything other than "Manage database".  

The idea behind the layout shown above is to be able to click on any image and go that specific image's record form and update imformation if needed. So, in essence I would like to have each photo in the tabular layout above act as a button. iWould that be possible if the images appear in a portal? 

Any additional help is greatly appreciated. Regards - Andreas 

• 4. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
                etripoli
                   You can self-relate the table, by duplicating it on the Relationship Graph, and linking the primary key/record ID fields together with the 'X' operator.  Base the portals on this relationship.  The result will be that any record you are on, based on the original table, will show you all pictures in the table through the portals.
                • 5. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
                  comment_1

It depends on which images you want to show. A self-join relationship using the x relational operator will always show ALL your records (or at least as many of them as there are portal rows in your entire grid). It is also possible to "smarten up" the relationship so that it shows only records of certain type.

• 6. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
                    akarelias

Thanks very much indeed Comment, I managed to put my photos in a grid created by several portals, each starting from a different row as you said. I also managed to create buttons out of each photo in the grid, which takes me to the record I want. This is indeed a major step for m and I am grateful for your valuable help. 

The only problem is that with the portal system, my photos are displayed vertically, meaning that photo 2 is below photo1 and not next to it.  So it looks like this:

Portal1    Portal2     Portal3   etc

Photo1      Photo6     Photo11

Photo2      Photo7     Photo12

Photo3      Photo8     Photo13

Photo4      Photo9       etc

Photo5      Photo10     etc

Is there a way to make portals show information in a column format rather that a row format? In other words is it possible to make the cells of the portal appear horizontally? What I wish to achieve is the following:

Portal1   Photo1    Photo2    Photo3    Photo4    Photo5

Portal2  Photo6    Photo7    Photo8    Photo9    Photo10

As you can appreciate, the latter, if possible, is a much more natural way of presentation, as it resembles the way we read and write. 

Thanks a lot and best regards - Andreas 

• 7. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
                      comment_1

Well, one way to do this would be to use one-row portals - so instead of say 10 portals of 5 rows each you'd have 50 portals that you can arrange any way you like. Simple, but tedious.

A smarter way would be to assign a serial number to the photos, then calculate Mod ( SerialNumber - 1 ; 5 ) and sort the portals (or the relationship) by the calculation field and the serial number, in that order.

• 8. Re: How can I make pictures appear in a table layout?
                        akarelias

What a brilliant idea.... Using the mod!!!   Thank you so much.....I understand very well what you are saying. 

it works !!!!!!!!

I owe you so much.... You are unbelievable......This problem has been haunting me for two years......

WOW....

Can't say how grateful I am.  

Best personal regards - Andreas