1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2011 10:01 AM by HowardRathbun

How can I print more than 2 records on a page?

HowardRathbun

Title

How can I print more than 2 records on a page?

I designed a print layout with a header, body, and footer.  The body contains a single record which includes lots of data, a portal, room for a picture, etc.  This works just fine.  But some records  contain a lot less data, no picture, etc. and so take up less room.  Since some records are quite small I can save paper by printing more than one on a page.  How can I specify that 2 or more records be printed on the same page (in the same body) ?  Assuming that I can do that, what happens if I specify two records which turn out to take more space than one page?

page0001.jpg

• 1. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
          rjlevesque

Can you provide a sample file so that we could see what you are working with layout wise?  =)

• 2. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
            Abhaya

Hello,

how can you dynamocally show which record has less data

again printing only deals with the data that present on the layout.

so i think it is not possible to show 2 record values in one  layout .

• 3. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
              Sorbsbuster

You can set the body part to fill one page, as I assume you have now, with the various fields in that body part extended down to fill it to the bottom.  If you set in 'Sliding and Printing' all of those fields to slide upwards when printing (and the enlosed part also) then your print will shrink the found records to fit only the data that is in them, and it will print more records per page if they have little data.

• 4. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                HowardRathbun

I am attaching a PDF file which consists of one record.  I use the sliding mechanism to move everything up as much as possible.  This example shows that there is enough room for another record if it is no bigger than the one already there.  Let me know if the attachement doesn't come through.

• 5. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                  philmodjunk

When using the sliding option, also select "resize enclosing part" and specify these same two options for any other layout objects (even layout text or lines) to also slide up and shrink unless they are located at the very top of the body.

• 6. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                    Sorbsbuster

Let's also check the obvious:

- you have found more than 1 record

- you have not set the print options to print current record only.

No pdf available.

• 7. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                      HowardRathbun

I couldn't post a PDF image but attached a screenshot to my original posting.  That is one record and the problem is not how to find more records but how to somehow show them or attach them together in one body.  I use sliding and enclosing on all the parts but it is sometimes tricky.  For instance, I discovered that text fields react differently than merge variables in that they have different effects on the items below them.  I had to replace a couple of text fields with merge variables.  Is there a good tutorial on this particular subject?

• 8. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                        philmodjunk

For sliding to work, you need to keep these details in mind:

1. It's not visible in Browse or Find Modes
                        2. If you set a field to slide up, all objects, including graphic objects such as a horizontal line that are next to or below the sliding field must be given the same options to slide and resize.
                        3. If you do not select the Resize Enclosing Part option, the fields will slide up, but the empty space on your report will remain, below the objects that have slid up.
                        4. Objects not in the layout body (as far as I know), do not slide/resize
                        5. Fields inside of portals cannot be set to slide, but the portal itself can be set to slide to adjust for varying numbers of portal rows.
                        6. If you have fields that may need to span a page break, make sure that you've downloaded the 11.0v3 updater as it claims to fix an issue where the text can be split over the break.
                        • 9. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                          rjlevesque

Not related to helping you at all but I just had to chime in to say - Awesome layout on your report page, looks very crisp and clean. Very professional looking.

• 10. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                            HowardRathbun

rjlevesque:

thanks for the compliment.

ON further reflection, my question should have been: how can I print more than 1 Layout per page?  My layout (shown above) is built from records from 3 tables and a 2nd layout would be similar but be built from a different set of records.

• 11. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                              philmodjunk

Can't be done. It's strictly one layout per customer with exactly one exception to that. If you use a script to generate a PDF of the layout, there's an option that allows you to append a PDF to an existing PDF file. Thus, you could save a PDF of layout #1, switch to layout #2 and save a PDF--appending it to the end of the PDF from layout #1.

Before you try something that cumbersome, feel free to describe your two layouts and the records you want to display in each. There may be a way to combine all that data on a single layout.

• 12. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                                HowardRathbun

I looked for a way some time ago to append one pdf file to another because that would solve my whole problem and (I suspect) would be the easiest to implement.  But I couldn't find a way to make that happen.  I tried just now, and couldn't find an "append" option anywhere, either in the script steps I used or doing it manually.

I thought about creating two layouts in one layout.  The outcome would be fine but doing so would require that I make a duplicate layout.  Doing that would be OK but I would have to relabel about 60 merge variables on the second layout.  Then I would have to duplicate the scripts which loaded the data in the 1st layout and then change the duplicate script to work only on the 2nd layout and change all the merge variable references as well.  The set of scripts for each layout consists of about 500 lines of code.  Finally, this option would not provide the capability to append 3 or 4 PDF files together.

So the "append" option is the only one I can think if I can just get that to work.

• 13. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                                  Sorbsbuster

In FM11 (at least) the Save Records as pdf script step has two options in the bottom left - the first is 'Append to existing file'.

• 14. Re: How can I print more than 2 records on a page?
                                    philmodjunk

Thanks Sorbsbuster, Filemaker 10 and 11 have that feature. It's a script step--not something you can do from the File menu.

Howard, I'm not sure you are understanding my question.

You specify two layouts: On layout #1, what records are you listing in your report?

On layout #2, what records are your listing on your report?

Are they records from the same table? Different but related tables?

What key limitation are you encountering that makes two different layouts necessary?

I can't see your database from here, so what I am proposing may be impossible, but I know of a number of tricks that might enable you to create a single layout that can be used to print all of this data that you currently print from two different layouts.

1 2 3 Previous Next