6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 12:41 AM by NightBird

How can I run a GIF file in a container field?

NightBird

Title

How can I run a GIF file in a container field?

How can I insert GIF file to a container field And make it run over And over like in a regular browsing in the internet? without having to go inside the field And activate it? And without seeing the bonding box And the activated buttons?

If there is a better format to achieve this result, I'll be happy to know.

• 1. Re: How can I run a GIF file in a container field?
          blackcat795

If you are thinking of animated gifs then forget it, there is currently no way to have these a Filemaker Database.

The closest you can get this effect  is to create script that switches the contents of a container field, the down side is that you you can't do anything while the script is running & you have to activate it anyway.

I tried recently to run an animated gif in a web viewer ona layout but the viewer was too big

• 2. Re: How can I run a GIF file in a container field?
            NightBird

To disappoint!!!

I was thinking to show nice holidays animated GIF according the calendar dates in front menu of my solution so every user in the company can see it, without disturbing in the work.

thanks for the input.
            • 3. Re: How can I run a GIF file in a container field?
              rmanook

Hi Nightbird,

I'm sorry that the container field will not display the GIF files in the fashion you'd like; we've had customers asking for the same solution.  I'd recommend adding a feature request here: 

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I would fill it out for you, but there is some specific information that would be better for you to provide.

As Blackcat noted (thanks!) a workaround for adding GIF files is adding them via a Web Browser.  You would need to host the GIF file through a site like photobucket, tinypic, etc. and then add its URL into the Web Browser.  You can remove the status bar, pen pattern, etc. so just the GIF is displayed.  (This is also assuming that there is Internet access)

Unlike running a script for the container field, users will be able to move within the database without any issue.

Thanks!

tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: How can I run a GIF file in a container field?
                blackcat795

no need to host the file externally as you can use the file from an internal network location by using the following as the web address for the web viewer.

"file://localhost/C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\gifname.gif"

obviously change to your own location

Steve

• 5. Re: How can I run a GIF file in a container field?
                  clemhoff

How can I insert GIF file to a container field And make it run over And over like in a regular browsing in the internet?

Hello NightBird,

This is pretty easy to realize even more that the answer is in your question!

Keep your Container field as it is and insert your gif picture as reference
                  Now add a WebViewer and set his calculation field to :

//... You'll have to adjust the calculation for use on Windows 
                  Let(
                      [
                          xPath2gif_fm = GetValue ( myContainer ; ValueCount ( myContainer ) );
                      ];

"file://" & "/Volumes" & Right ( xPath2gif_fm ; Length ( xPath2gif_fm )  - Position ( xPath2gif_fm ; ":" ; 1 ; PatternCount ( xPath2gif_fm ; ":" ) ) ) 

)

hth

• 6. Re: How can I run a GIF file in a container field?
                    NightBird
                       Congratulations clem, you solve it!!!

Many Thanks.