2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2010 12:02 PM by FentonJones

How can I save my file remotely before I have to force-quit it?

enyko

Title

How can I save my file remotely before I have to force-quit it?

That title may be a bit confusing but this should explain;

We have our FMP file open on one computer and open "remotely" on a second. The main (host) computer all of sudden started clocking when trying to run a FMP email script. Note: not all apps are clocking, just our FMP. It has been clocking for about 20 minutes now and I assume I have to force quit (we're on Macs). But I don't want to lose all the changes we've been making today. The file on the remote computer is working fine. I can do everything and access all data. I'm wondering if there is a way to save a copy of the file the way it is now on the remote computer before force quitting the host computer? I already checked and "Save A Copy As..." option is grayed out.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How can I save my file remotely before I have to force-quit it?
          littledog

Typically you can probably lose only last changes for data and last changes for layout no saved.

When you exit record or layout data is saved.

Force quit cannot make a big trouble in this case.

For sure use Recover.

• 2. Re: How can I save my file remotely before I have to force-quit it?
            FentonJones

I would say that Force Quit can make trouble, if executed on the host copy of a FileMaker file (not the client one). The file may or may not be damaged by this kind of quit; and there is no sure way to tell, even if Recover does not find any damage. Best practices dictate that you should not use this file afterwards unless you really really have to. You should go back to an earlier file, Save as Clone, and Import all the data from the Recovered file. You would also need to reset any auto-enter serial id fields, to use the logical "next" number. 

If you had been using FileMaker Server, then Force-Quiting a client would not cause this problem. At least not when the client is only running a script (as opposed to having Manage Database open, which is still a big problem). It is one of the big reasons to use FileMaker Server.

If the above sounds like a lot of trouble, then buy FileMaker Pro Advanced. It will let you turn on Script Debugger. You can then click the X to stop the script (hopefully), if you are caught in a run-away Loop, and have Allow User Abort ["Off"], which is the most common cause of this kind of thing. But if it is some other more serious error, I don't know; almost never happens (to me :-). Worth a try though, save damaging your file.