AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can I use checked values from a check box set in a calculation?

Question asked by HildeBoee on Feb 9, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2010 by Dkesh

Title

How can I use checked values from a check box set in a calculation?

<!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:WordDocument&gt;   &lt;w:View&gt;Normal&lt;/w:View&gt;   &lt;w:Zoom&gt;0&lt;/w:Zoom&gt;   &lt;w:HyphenationZone&gt;21&lt;/w:HyphenationZone&gt;   &lt;w:PunctuationKerning/&gt;   &lt;w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/&gt;   &lt;w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;false&lt;/w:SaveIfXMLInvalid&gt;   &lt;w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;false&lt;/w:IgnoreMixedContent&gt;   &lt;w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;false&lt;/w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText&gt;   &lt;w:Compatibility&gt;    &lt;w:BreakWrappedTables/&gt;    &lt;w:SnapToGridInCell/&gt;    &lt;w:WrapTextWithPunct/&gt;    &lt;w:UseAsianBreakRules/&gt;    &lt;w:DontGrowAutofit/&gt;   &lt;/w:Compatibility&gt;   &lt;w:BrowserLevel&gt;MicrosoftInternetExplorer4&lt;/w:BrowserLevel&gt; &lt;/w:WordDocument&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if gte mso 9]&gt;&lt;xml&gt; &lt;w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=&quot;false&quot; LatentStyleCount=&quot;156&quot;&gt; &lt;/w:LatentStyles&gt; &lt;/xml&gt;&lt;![endif]  --><!--  [if !mso]&gt;&lt;object classid=&quot;clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D&quot; id=ieooui&gt;&lt;/object&gt; &lt;style&gt; st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  --><!--  /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal      {mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      margin:0cm;      margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-fareast-font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;} @page Section1      {size:595.3pt 841.9pt;      margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt 70.85pt;      mso-header-margin:35.4pt;      mso-footer-margin:35.4pt;      mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1      {page:Section1;}   --><!--  [if gte mso 10]&gt; &lt;style&gt; /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:&quot;Vanlig tabell&quot;;      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:&quot;&quot;;      mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0cm;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;;      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;} &lt;/style&gt; &lt;![endif]  -->

Hello,

I'm using Filemaker Pro 9. I have a file containing information about historical persons from all over Europe. As you know, the number of names in one person's full name, vary a great deal. Some have only one name, others have several. We keep each name in its own field:

first name

nickname

middle name 1

middle name 2

middle name 3

middle name 4

middle name 5

surname

We want to differentiate between the full name and the version used by and about the person, i.e. the name that the person is or was known by, mostly this is first name + surname. To complicate this comes the fact that some persons used one of their middle names or a nickname as their first name. We have therefore created a checkbox set where we check the names that constitute “the name that the person is known by”.

Now I would like to add two calculation fields to the file, both which can aggregate the checked names, one in the pattern “Firstname Surname”, and one in the opposite pattern, “Surname, Firstname”. But how can I do this? Can I do it using calculation fields? Is there any other way to do it?

I’ve tried, but I can’t seem to get anything to work. Does anyone here have some advice or a solution to suggest?

Many thanks in advance,

kind regards Hilde

Outcomes