3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 1:09 PM by TSGal

How can I use FMPro 10 on second computer?

PeteC1

Title

How can I use FMPro 10 on second computer?

I am new to FM (but not to databases) using FM 10.0v3 on an iMac running OS X 10.4.11. I would like to be able to use it on my laptop - a MacBook running OS X 10.5.8. The license says:

"Additionally, the primary user of the computer on which the Software is installed may make a
      second copy for his or her exclusive use on either a home or portable computer."

Presumably, I activated the copy on the iMac during installation when I registered it via internet and received an emailed registration confirmation from FM. No dialog concerning activation appears when I start FM but under the Help menu there is a "Register Now" item but no "Deactivate" item.

Can someone tell me how I can use this on the two computers?

• 1. Re: How can I use FMPro 10 on second computer?
          TSGal

PeteC:

Thank you for your post.

You can just use the CD to install FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on your laptop.  No need to register it again.

There is no activation in FileMaker Pro 10.  Activation only occurred with FileMaker Pro 9.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: How can I use FMPro 10 on second computer?
            chrisgill

This is all very confusing.

The install documentation for FM10 talks about activation/deactivation over the innernet or by phone. The Knowledgebase basically says activation "takes place locally on your computer" but does not discuss deactivation at all. Because I want to transfer my FM10 to a colleague (I have bought FM10 Advanced) I have been scouring the forums, and find you are saying activation has been abandoned.

So we just remove it from my Mac and install it on my colleague's Mac, I guess? 

Chris 

• 3. Re: How can I use FMPro 10 on second computer?
              TSGal

chrisgill:

When the FileMaker 10 documentation was created, activation was being used in FileMaker Pro 9.  It was eventually dropped from FileMaker Pro 10, so the activation does not apply.

However, you said "transfer my FM 10 to a colleague (I have bought FM10 Advanced)...".  Please make sure that the registration for FileMaker Pro 10 has been switched over to your colleague.  That is, contact our Customer Assistance department at toll-free 800-325-2747, tell them that you want the registration transferred, and they will do that for you.  If you are outside of North America, go to our web site (www.filemaker.com), select the country in the upper right pop-up and contact the office nearest you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.