5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 10:10 AM by macsavers

How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?

macsavers

Title

How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?

I have a need to view a 3D object in a FileMaker Pro database. I was hoping to find a plugin that provided this, but finding a good list of current and working plugins is  hard to find. Even here on FileMaker it's not the best list to try and find something.

Anyone know of something that might work? 

• 1. Re: How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?
          mrvodka
             I dont have much experience with 3D objects but cant you just use the webviewer with 3D flash?
          • 2. Re: How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?
            edusouza

Hello, Mac Savers and Mr. Vodka,

mr_vodka wrote:
            I dont have much experience with 3D objects but cant you just use the webviewer with 3D flash?

Once again, I believe Mr. Vodka is right. I never heard of a FMP plugin capable of handling vectorial 3D {x,y,z} data, and it's beyond FMP's native graphical capacity at this point. There are workarounds, though; Webviewer + Flash seems to be the most logical, for both applications are able to interact via a scripting language or XML.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the real need for 3D in FileMaker?

Cheers,

E* 

• 3. Re: How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?
              macsavers

I would like to make a database of a library of 3D objects. There is already one on the PC side using MS Access, but since it's not available on the Mac I need to do my own. The MS Access one can actually view the 3D object, complete with materials and the like. I was hoping to find a 3D viewer equivalent that I could use in conjunction with FileMaker.

While the Flash idea isn't a bad one, it requires that I create a flash file for each 3D object which is extremely time consuming. I was hoping to find a much less time consuming option. Unfortunately, there may not be one. At this point, just creating a JPEG image of the item would be about the same amount of time, actually it would probably be a lot less, so I'm not sure the Flash solution is going to save me any real time.

• 4. Re: How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?
                edusouza

Hello, Mac Savers,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

macsavers wrote:

While the Flash idea isn't a bad one, it requires that I create a flash file for each 3D object which is extremely time consuming. I was hoping to find a much less time consuming option. Unfortunately, there may not be one. At this point, just creating a JPEG image of the item would be about the same amount of time, actually it would probably be a lot less, so I'm not sure the Flash solution is going to save me any real time.

I've done some "tampering" :) with Flash, and there are ways to make it draw complex 3D objects and environments as well as animations from data fed from an XML document. I personally only tested it -- parsing XML nodes into Flash can be a hassle most times -- but actionscript 3.0 is a powerful scripting language, and Flash 10 native graphical capacities are way beyond most similar applications. I guess a good place to start is Actionscript, which is a website dedicated to actionscripting and Flash technologies. There you will find a handful of awesome Flash developers who will be much more precise about the subject than me.

Anyway, if you want to see some new Flash 3D engines in action, below are some good references:

Away3D Flash Engine 

Box2D AS3 Flash Physics Engine

FOAM Rigid Body Physics Engine Alpha Release 0.1 

Sandy 3D engine (AS3 & AS2) 

WOW AS3 3D Physics Engine 

Please understand this list is FAR from complete, but from there (and Actionscript.org) you will find links to other engines. Similar to FileMaker Pro, Flash Community is open and friendly.

I hope this may have helped you.

Cheers,

E* 

• 5. Re: How can I view a 3D object in FileMaker?
                  macsavers

Actually, I do a lot of AS3 and Flash programming. I've also looked into the 3D aspect, but it is quite complex. I might take another look at it and see if there are any real simple solutions. Still, building XML files for each 3D object to keep stuff in order is still a lot of work, but at least it's a direction to look in.

Thanks.