10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2010 9:13 AM by philmodjunk

how can you print a portal

kilbot

Title

how can you print a portal

How can you print the entire contents of a portal with a sliding bar?

• 1. Re: how can you print a portal
          philmodjunk

Make a list view layout based on the portal's table and put any needed fields from the parent record in a header or sub summary part. The invoices starter solution uses this method to print invoices and packing slips so you can check them out to see how this is done.

Or you can make your portal many lines tall (so you don't need the scroll bar), and set it to slide up/resize enclosing part to eliminate the extra white space when printing.

• 2. Re: how can you print a portal
            PeymanDadpanah

Hi,

It would be good to advise how the printing will be, as the actual print preview won't be having the Trailing part,.... check the Starter Solutions (Invoice) and check that print preview yourself ! how do you print or make pdf out of this tricky sub report in a list view?

• 3. Re: how can you print a portal
              philmodjunk

When I preview the layout, I see the header information, the items listed in the portal and also the invoice totals at the bottom. I can also see these while in browse mode--though I have to navigate manually to the layout to preview it as the script won't leave me on this layout, but proceeds to try to print the layout and then return me back to the data entry layout.

The print preview should show you exactly what you will be getting if you print from the layout or save as PDF with Records being browsed specified. If you have a large enough number of items entered in your portal, the invoice totals may not appear on the first page, but you can click to the following pages while in preview mode. (Can't do this if you've clicked the print button as you are actually paused in browse mode in the script.)

• 4. Re: how can you print a portal
                PeymanDadpanah

Thanks for your prompt reply Phil. I will try to see if I Can get the same result in our report and update you. We are stuck in all reports as the portal won't increase when the # of records exceed the maximum #. I am wondering how come still this is not fixed yet in FileMaker.

Cheres

• 5. Re: how can you print a portal
                  philmodjunk

Please note that the example file I am referring to does not print from a portal. It avoids the problem all together by printing from a list view layout based on the same table as the portal. A find and sort script pulls up the relevant portal records on this layout and fields from the parent record are placed in headers, footers or grand summary parts so the information from the parent record is displayed correctly.

Here's a simpler demo file created by Comment that uses this same method: 

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/309136/

• 6. Re: how can you print a portal
                    PeymanDadpanah

I tried you new sample demo, but it doesn't seem to be related to what we are talking, as this is based on Portal. Now the point is when we recall the layout from another layout and we go into browse mode, then how to print that !

• 7. Re: how can you print a portal
                      philmodjunk

This entire thread describes printing the data found in a portal.

In the demo, if you run the script for printing the invoice, you'll see it switch layouts, find the portal records and display them in a list view layout for printing. This layout works just fine in browse mode and prints as I've described.

Isn't that what you wanted?

• 8. Re: how can you print a portal
                        PeymanDadpanah

Yes, it is what I want to do as well. I am trying to do the same in our database. many thanks for your on time support. Cheers to you,

• 9. Re: how can you print a portal
                          kilbot

Im using fm9 and have no invoices starter db can someone send it to me? thicks2@gmail.com

• 10. Re: how can you print a portal
                            philmodjunk

Go back 5 posts and you'll find a download link for a better example of this method. The file created by Comment is much simpler so it's easier to examine and figure out how this process works.