5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 3:28 PM by raybaudi

How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?

AndreasvanHaren

Title

How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?

I have a lot of records in my database and use the previous and next buttons to go to them. It would be nice to have a drop down menu that shows all the titels of the records and I can choose the one I want. How canI make this possible?

André

• 1. Re: How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?
          raybaudi

Hi André

If you have "a lot of records", are you sure to need a drop down menu with a lot of menus ?

Isn't better a navigation by using a portal or even the simple list view ?

• 2. Re: How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?
            AndreasvanHaren

Maybe, as long as I don'ty need to browse through all my records with mouse clicks. I don't know what's the best way to see all my records at once and can just choose the one I want to see. And I never used portal before.The most important thing is that I can use a little space like a drop down menu to have a look and choice to open one of my records.

André

• 3. Re: How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?
              raybaudi

Ok.

So now you'll learn how to create a portal to show all your records.

Your DB must have a primary key; normally it is an ID field that is formatted to have an auto-entered serial number NOT modifiable.

This field is always NOT empty by definition, because it holds sure a number.

If you have that field, OK ( and go to step 4 ) ; if not, create now it ( name it ID ) and set it to auto-enter number field from 1 step 1.

After:

1) Show all your records while in Browse Mode
              2) Put the cursor inside that new field
              3) from menu Records >> Replace field contents... >> Replace with serial numbers starting fro 1 increment 1 and check: Update serial number in Entry Options.
              4) Go to the relationship grafh
              5) make a copy of your table ( a new TO ) that will have the same name with a 2 suffix.
              6) drag a line from ID of first table to ID of second table
              7) change the simbol ( = ) that is between those IDs to a new symbol ( X ).
              8) go in layout mode
              9) place a portal of 3 lines ( with a scroll bar ) where you want. The portal must display values of the related DB ( auto-related ) , the one with the 2 suffix.
              10) choose the field that you want to view.
              11) select that field and format it as a button with the script step: Go to Related Record.

Stop now and I'm waiting for your news till here.

• 4. Re: How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?
                AndreasvanHaren

THanks for the help, however...

I don't even understand this part:

Your DB must have a primary key; normally it is an ID field that is formatted to have an auto-entered serial number NOT modifiable.

This field is always NOT empty by definition, because it holds sure a number.

If you have that field, OK ( and go to step 4 ) ; if not, create now it ( name it ID ) and set it to auto-enter number field from 1 step 1.

WHere do I find the primary key? I searched the help file for making a portal that holds record. 

I believe that this is going to be far too complex for me, probably it's better to stay with the browse buttons instead. Thanks for yor help any way.

André

• 5. Re: How canI make a drop down menu that shows all my records?
                  raybaudi

"WHere do I find the primary key?"

This question let me think that you haven't one.

But create one is very simple, as simple as to create a number field, name it ID and set its option for auto-enter a SERIAL number starting from 1 and stepping by 1.

Go on and create it.